Mystery Tie Rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mystery Tie Rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

It's a mystery to me, but I'm sure someone is familiar with this style tie rod where the one end is solid and not adjustable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

It is probably an auto part store replacement from back in the day. I would be afraid to use it, no telling if it is strong enough or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

The tie rod looks stock to me, but the drag link (goes from steering to right wheel) has after market caps. Those caps were spring loaded and were intended to take off some wear when the ball got slightly out of round. The actual ends of the rods on a Model A were spring loaded, so I guess Henry liked the idea. I have also seen that kind on the wishbone ball joint.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Norman, confused by "the tie rod looks stock", all the tie rods I have have both ends threaded. This particular tie rod has only one end threaded and the other fixed. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

None of the original Ford tie rods are threaded on both ends. This one is odd because the driver side end is not like stock Ford at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:24 am:

Norman, usually the tie rod is the rod which ties the two spindle arms together. The rod with the aftermarket spring loaded cap is the drag link.

As Royce points out, the drag links can have one adjustable end. The early ones were fine threads. Later the threads were changed to coarse thread. When the threads were eliminated, the same separate forged ends were riveted onto the shaft. Later again, the drag link was a one piece forging, the ends being integral.

Hope this helps alleviate some confusion.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 11:10 am:

The tie rod looks like a Model N R S that has been cut off and threaded. The end fitting on the tie rod appears to me to be a 1909+ early end with a 1919 era ball that has a straight shaft. The drag ling is standard later T with accessory caps. What is the pitman arm? Stock later T or 1909 era?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Allan, not to nit pick, but Royce correctly referenced the tie rod. The early drag links you mention were threaded on both ends. The next style was had both ends brazed and pinned, and the last style was forged as one piece.

It's hard to tell from the photo above but the drag link pictured looks to be the last style, possibly the second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

I am not familiar with the early tie rods, but all the ones I have seen are threaded on the right end but not on the left end. None of the drag links I have seen are threaded on either end. I am not an expert on the very early cars, so maybe they are. But one thing I know is that there were stock rods which look just like the ones in the pictures.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Walter, can you point me to an illustration/reference to drag links having both ends threaded? I was under the impression the just one end was adjustable. There were certainly some with one end adjustable before the ends were both brazed and riveted to make a fixed length.

At Chickasha in 2010 I met the guy who was making the reproduction drag links now available from the vendors, and was able to purchase the coarse threaded end I needed for my 1912 van. If there was a link with adjustments of threaded ends each end, it certainly was superseded early on, first by fine threads and then coarse threads.

We live and learn all the time with these cars.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Layden may be correct, I need to look at my Model N photos. In any case that tie rod looks nothing like any stock T tie rods, other than the adjuster which looks like 1920 - 27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Hi Allen, yes you are right, the learning never ends and that's what keeps this interesting.

In the Judging Standards 650 is the paragraph for the appropriate years and they reference "Three-piece adjustable design with threaded yokes" (plural). The Gail Rodda book also describes that the "ends (plural) are threaded". In both sources when the design changes, it goes to the ends being brazed and riveted (or pinned), but I've never seen anything in print saying there's a combination of the two nor have I held one in my hands.

I have in my possession one of the fine threaded reproductions and it is threaded on both ends. I have held several others threaded on both ends (both course and fine) that were all worn out and shot before finally buying the reproduction one.

I don't doubt there could be another variation. In fact, after noting your location, if there is another variation, I wonder if it's a Canadian export thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

iam confused some seem to be talking about the tie rod some the drag link.but what do i know.when i was looking in my elc box i didnt know my left from right will have to eat crow tomorrow.ha,ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

My comments are regarding tie rods only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

BOTH ARE CALLED CON RODS, SPINDLE OR STEERING GEAR. JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR, BUY THE BOOK. CHARLEY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Pictures of Model NRS tie rod, ends look similar. Question remains why with 15 million Model T's built would someone go to the trouble of threading and early tie rod to use on a Model T? Of course this was the generation who never threw anything away and fixed everything themselves!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration