Some questions on 1925 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Some questions on 1925 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

First question: I need to remove the front seats so I can remove the hogshead. Removing the passenger seat seems pretty easy, however since the driver seat has the gas tank under it I'm not sure how to attack that one. The original upholstery is still on the seat and I don't want to mess it up. Suggestions please. Second question: I just noticed a steering wheel lock and I've never seen one before on a T. I cleaned the date plate on the lock and it looks like, "Bauer Lock". Would that normally work with the ignition key or a different key? Any idea if that was a dealer installed item? Is the horn button that is in the picture common? That's new to me as well.Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

The seat frame box has a flange around it that is screwed to the floor. The front of the box has crews that are hidden by the floor board. The tank covering should then lift off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

The seats don't have to be removed to remove the hods head. Only the floor boards need to come out. It is a tight space to work but can be done.
The steering lock is an accessory with a special key.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Please note: Those wheel locks do not lock the steering wheel, they make the steering wheel "free wheel". BE CAREFUL WITH THAT THING. They have caused wrecks when they start free wheeling while driving. Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

Thanks for the quick answers. Dan, I'm confused most of the time, now really confused: why in the world would a driver want a "free wheeling" feature? Does that mean the car can't be steered? Wow! Maybe I'm reading that wrong???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Free wheeling prevented theft. Can't steer it, can't steal it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

There were dozens of similar locking/free-wheeling steering wheels sold for model T Fords, and other cars, as anti-theft devices. Some of them (rare) were also combination fat-man tilting wheels. While the locking feature of the wheels were basically similar in design, they varied greatly in minor details.
I have never had anything near a complete locking/free-wheeling steering wheel (I never really wanted one). I do have some parts of one. And I have read with interest many threads on the subject. IF yours is in a state of being easily removed from the steering column (locked? and depends on make/model specifics) and replaced with a standard steering wheel? I would recommend doing that. IF the wheel cannot be removed easily from the steering column? The easiest course of action may be to replace the entire steering column.
Removing a difficult such wheel can be VERY tricky! Most of them have hidden pins somewhere in the base that often need to be drilled out in order to disassemble the mechanism and remove it.
If you can find the pins? Drilling them may be easy, or tricky.

I know that the center-door sedan I had years ago, I could remove the hogshead without removing the seats. I would imaging your tudor would be similar.

Beautiful Car! I love it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration