Rim bolt hole - is this salvageable or can it be repaired?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rim bolt hole - is this salvageable or can it be repaired?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

I disassembled one of my wheels today to remove rotten spokes. I discovered that one of the rim bolt holes is pretty rusty and is much thinner than the other three holes.

The two pics below show the damaged one and another one that is normal thickness (sorry it is sandy).

Is this rusty and thinner hole salvageable and can it be reinforced to make it safe and useable again?
Rusty hole

Normal hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Eric, if that was my rim I would be taking that lug off and replacing it with a good one from a donor rim. Whether this is feasible would depend on how good the bead is at that point. Such rust would mean further investigation of the rim itself.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Get another junk rim that has a good lug on it. I found a really good rim that was missing a lug. I carefully removed the lug from another rim and installed on my good rim. Like Allan said make sure the rim itself is in good shape in this area before you go to the trouble to replace the bad lug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Eric, I just had another thought. If that damaged lug is the one closest to the valve stem hole, it is a bit different from the other three. Get the same one from the donor rim, or be prepared to file your replacement slightly oval to duplicate it. This is necessary to allow the rim to be fitted over the lug bolt when mounting the rim to the felloe.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

What is the trick to installing a new/old lug on the rim? Weld it? Just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Good news. I do have another rim that is unusable, but it has great lugs. What is the best way to remove one and reinstall it on another rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Eric, it depends a little on how the lugs are attached. If you give your damaged one a good sideways whack with a heavy hammer, it may reveal two small square lines inside the rim, indicating that the lug has a pair of square 'feet' which engage in square holes in the rim. These are riveted over in manufacture. To replace the lug, get the donor one off as you can. The squares will have to be filed off to get them to fit into the rim. Then you can weld them on the inside of the rim rather than rivet them over.

I have had no experience with lugs which may be welded on. It would be an electric weld like a spot weld. If you can drill out the welds from the inside of the rim, the replacement lug can be welded on again by welding through the holes you have drilled.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:01 am:

Yes you can Mig them from the inside, taking care to grind the surface flush to keep from damaging the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:47 am:

It could be welded but I would replace it. Just my opinion. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration