OT: Mystery item for identification. May not even be car related...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Mystery item for identification. May not even be car related...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 02:03 am:

Seeking help to identify this item. Ideas and even positive IDs welcome! It is cast brass (or bronze).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 02:05 am:

Fragrant Mound Condensor !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Shucks I thought I knew what it was, but the tape is covering too much of it......Actually I think it snaps onto this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:45 am:

Reminds me a lot of a device I once saw in a gun collection, used to test the strength of gun powder, back when there was no standardization. There'd be a dial, friction mounted in the center, and pointing to the numbers. A small pistol with a certain amount of black powder would be clamped to device, then fired, and pointer would move to indicate strength of powder, 1 through 5.

Not saying I'm sure that's what it is, but it reminds me of one I've seen...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:34 am:

Looks like the indicator for adjusting the concaves on an old combine , just my thought . As a gun guy , I like the gunpowder idea though it's probably better than mine :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:43 am:

No idea....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:09 am:

I think its part of an ancient computer.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/decoding-antikythera-mechanism-first-computer-180953979/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Hah! Good one James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Early flux capasiter mounting bracket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Looks like it could be something farm related. Might be some type of adjustment or measuring device used on a turn of the century seeder or grain drill. What ever it is its got something to do with measuring or adjusting something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Looks like an adjuster for a very large old clock. But what do I know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Hmmm,....I was thinking that with that quadrant and pivot point and all, it looks sorta' like part of the valve gear linkage or reverse gear for some sort of steam engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Thanks for the replies and ideas. Some good suggestions there. I'll keep investigating and report back if I can ID it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

No idea but for some reason part of an old scale hit me first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

I agree with John Kuehn. It looks like it's calibrated to measure something as it's dispensed. Seeder or something to do with grain seems a reasonable guess, but just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

I believe that's a Henway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

It might be an early Henway. It looks like it is brass, or could it be brass plated. When did they switch over?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 03:27 am:

About two pounds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 04:33 am:

Sounds about right to me Wayne! :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:36 am:

I would give it a good media blast cleaning with walnut shells or something and see if there was any more fine markings on it.That is a weird looking contraption for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:28 am:

I've used hammerfors most of my life and Dad once owned a Henway. And there's the good old reliable dikfur!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Dikfur was good but Munkdorf was far superior! The cam was almost the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 10:18 am:

It might work well on a pycos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Early lawn sprinkler system base. If you had the rest, you would really have something!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration