Wheel Confusion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wheel Confusion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:47 am:

I just bought a 1914 Touring. It has the wrong front wheels. They are square felloe with 30x3-1/2 tires. I can not find any info as to what years used 30x3-1/2 clincher front tires. I have not measured yet, but I was under the assumption that 30x3 and 30x3-1/2 use different rim diameters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Export Model T's used 30 X 3 1/2 wheels on all four as early as 1909. Those wheels, being square fellow, are no earlier than 1918. If the tire size is 30 X 3 1/2 then you can calculate the rim size as follows:

Assembled wheel + tire diameter = 30 inches.
Tire cross section = 3 1/2".

30 - (3.5 + 3.5) = 23 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Yes, different wheel diameters are required...

To the best of my knowledge, 30 x 3.5 were never used as front tires ex factory...unless the car was Canadian Walkerville built and then tires were 30 x 3.5 all the way around.

If you have front wheels for 30 x 3.5, and you are not a Canada built, then there is a silver lining if you keep them that way...you only have to have one spare tube and one spare tire :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:07 am:

do you mean my wheels are not correct for a Ford Ranger?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Does your car have front doors on both sides? If so, it is Canadian and the 30X3 1/2 wheels are correct.

Unless you want to be 100% authentic, it doesn't make any difference. Either size will serve you just as well and you won't need two size spare tires.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:21 am:

It's not Canadian. the rear wheels have the correct rounded fellow, and are in better condition. The fronts have a square fellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

My unrestored 1917 roadster has 30 x 3.5 square felloe front wheels.

They were installed by the original owner. He drove the car until 1947. One guess as to the reason is, as the car got older, new and used 30 x 3.5 tires may have been more readily available than 30 x 3 tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

The original wheels on my 1917 runabout were round fellow. It had all four of the original Ford script tires on it when dad bought it from the original owner in 1951. Note that the wheels on the car in this photo are not the originals, they are 5 lug Firestone demountables that dad put on the car because the original tires were not roadworthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Some folks used to stretch a 30 X 3 1/2 tire onto a 30 X 3 rim when the 30 X 3 tires were not available. Best to measure the rim itself. BTW a friend had a pair of 30 X 3 1/2 tires that had been stretched, they would just fall onto the 30 X 3 1/2 rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I repaired a T where that had been done, left the tires unmounted in a warm place for a few days; they remounted on a 3x3-12 rim, no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

My roadster has its original round felloe rears.

My dad has the original round felloes on his '17 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Gary. They are the wrong color

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

I thought that the rims were an inch larger in diameter for the 30x3 tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

They are:

30 - 3 - 3 = 24 inch wheels

30 - 3.5 - 3.5 = 23 inch wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

I find it very hard to believe that a tire meant for a 23 inch rim can be stretched onto a 24 inch rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

I have seen it done. It does make a difference the age, maker, and condition of tires. Some are tighter fits than others. A softer, looser, 30X3 1/2 will stretch onto a 24 inch rim easier than a heavier, or older, tire will.
The reverse also works. A 24 inch 30X3 tire can be carefully made to hold onto a 30X3 1/2 23 inch clincher rim. I watched it being done on a tour one time when a fellow had a blow-out on his T, and the only spare available was a 30x3 carried by an early car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Very common as alot of car were kept rolling down the road with whatever parts can be had

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Bump

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration