Steering gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Let me reword it. Some fit some don`t fit the gear housing, what`s the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Prior to 1924,all were 4:1 gears. From 25-27 they were 5:1. The center main steering shaft must match your gears. they are not interchangeable.The 5:1 gears are marked with a 5 on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Rick, I changed an early column from 4-1 to 5-1 as Jack says the gears have to match however even though I was using old parts I had to go through several sets and then use timesaver to get them lapped in so as to not be to tight. I don't think there was much uniformity of those parts . Don't know about the new ones. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

After reading your post and doing some reading I out I have a 25-27 steering housing and a early steering shaft and gears. My early 4 to 1 gears are smaller in diam. than the larger 5 - 1 diam. So I was trying to put 5 to 1 gears on a 4 to 1 shaft, that does not work. thanks guys for your imput it helped

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

I just finished installing a new 5-1 steering shaft in my 13 touring using used 5-1 gears and everything fit with no problems. When I bought the new shaft was told that the old gears would need to be honed to fit the new pins....this was not true in my case.
I re-bushed the lower support and top screw on cover. Also, added a grease fitting on the lower support to lube the bottom bushing which gets no if any grease from the original top grease cup. The lower bushing has the most force against it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

It`s when you have a 4-1 steering shaft and 5-1 gears is what I had , 4-1 pins are further apart than the 5-1. 4-1 gears die. are smaller than 5-1. When you put 5-1 gears on a 4-1 pins you have to drive the gears on the pins in the housing. It`s way to tight My conclusion is I have the wrong shaft a 4-1 shaft in a 5-1 setup, other words No Mixing of Parts or it`s way to tight, or way to lose a steering wheel. My problem came with car I`m learning thanks for everyone`s help! The Forum is the best!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration