Swapping wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Swapping wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

I have a great rim and spokes on a front wheel ... and bad spokes and a bad rim on a rear wheel. What I need is a good rear wheel. Is it possible to "switch out" the front hub ... and drop in the rear hub and brake drum in its place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Mark, the hubs are interchangeable, but if it is your 'drop in' fit, I would be leary of using such a wheel. It needs to be a firm fit, possibly requiring a press to push the hub home.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

As Allan says, it's possible. But if it isn't a tight fit you're wasting your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

You don't need a press.

Just be carefully removing and installing the hubs. Make sure you support the spokes when removing and installing hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Hi Mark,

As stated, the hubs can be swapped and, also as stated:

"If it ain't tight, it ain't right". Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Swapped hubs alot
Like Steve said tight is right if the hub just drops in shim it tight and back fill with resin
Once the spokes are true to each other

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration