Steering shaft question. Speedster.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering shaft question. Speedster.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Hello,
Regarding the positioning of the lower steering bracket.......is there any reason for me not to utilize the lower 1.25" of the steering shaft, just before the taper for the Pitman Arm?
I know its usually left for the spark lever arm, but that's been deleted from this car.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Rob, is this so you can run an un-worn section of the shaft in the bush? You will have to elongate some holes, either in the bracket or the chassis rail.

Alternatively, I had another thought a day or so ago. If you were to use an early bracket with the two bushes, the top one could be running on an unworn section of the shaft.The bottom bush could be reamed to as good a fit as is possible while the top one is at full size.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 01:46 am:

Hello Allan,
Thanks for answering.
Yes it is so I can run it on an un-worn section of the shaft. The lower 35mm of the shaft is perfect. Moving the chassis holes isn't a worry, as I will need to do that anyway, since the Rootlieb kit moves the firewall rearwards 2" and the kit has a Torpedo hood supplied. The bracket will need the wedge under it too. I do have an early bracket here with 2 brand new bushes, but the generator wont allow me to use it. Anyway, this particular shaft had an early bottom bracket fitted originally and has wear at the top too. If I can use the lowest section of the shaft (or most of it) without hindering the Pitman Arm I'll be OK.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:42 am:

Rob, I didn't think of the generator getting in the way. My speedster was based on a 1915 engine. You may have the best idea. I would do hole mods on the bracket so it would line up with the frame holes, rather than drill/elongate frame holes.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Again Allan,
"Thank You" for answering.
Rob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration