Needle nose pliers instead of reciprocal valve grinding tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Needle nose pliers instead of reciprocal valve grinding tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Using needle nose pliers instead of a reciprocal valve grinding tool on old style valves seems to work well. Any reason this should not be done?

Needle nose pliers instead of reciprical valve grinding tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 01:57 am:

Ignacio-

Original Ford valves have that double hole in them for grinding the valves. The Needle nose pliers are fine for that. However...

Original Ford valves are made from two pieces of metal that are joined together and the heads have been known to pop off the stem, which sends the top of the valve into the cylinder and bounces around doing damage...

Lookee here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/644804.html?1464098072

I'd opt for stainless steel valves.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Yes, leaving those two-piece valves in is looking for trouble down the road--they like to separate back into two pieces!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:51 am:

It will work, but you'll regret it. It takes quite a bit of back-and-forth action to grind and lap the valves, and you'll get awfully tired!

Better to find a piece of wooden closet rod or other round thing, and drive two finishing nails almost all the way into it. Then you can spin it between your hands and do a proper job.

If you replace the valves, as suggested above, then a round stick with a suction cup on the end will do nicely. There are several kids' toy dart guns that shoot a projectile that will work just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Autozone and Oreillys have the little wooden tool with the suction cup for just a few dollars.

They typically have them on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Here's a picture of one that came apart on me. I made it into a key ring. I did grind them all with needle nose pliers. When it busted I didn't know that was a common occurrence, this was around 95 so no forum and nobody around to tell me, so ive still got the other 7 running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Oh, I'm not saying that's a good idea, if you have the money replace them. Another one could do that at any time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I cannot see a purpose for using valve grinding compound. If a valve is ground at 45 degrees and the seat is ground at 30, 45 and 60 degrees leaving a 45 degree center line on the seat will seal. With the application of valve grinding compound to the two precision surfaces will leave scratches and otherwise destroy the precision surfaces. If both surfaces are ground at 45 degrees, as is frequently the case, a good seal will be short lived and valve grinding compound will not fix anything. I had a valve and seat from a stationary engine ground and they ground the valve and seat at 45 degrees and it leaked, I went back and complained and ordered it to be ground correctly at 30, 45 and 60 degrees, then a perfect seal was attained with out any valve grinding compound. I don't know the history of the purpose and use of valve grinding compound. If two surfaces are precision ground what is the purpose of introducing an abrasive to destroy the two surfaces?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:50 am:

David,

I think you'll agree the Ignacio did not start out with precision ground surfaces, as most of us do not.

Besides, even "precision" does not mean "perfection". The final lapping is most times useful to account for the last bit of misalignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

What Peter was talking about if interested. From the 1924 Dyke's Encyclopedia.
valves

Dave Gingery said to me and my buddy once "If it works, that's the right way to do it."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration