Secondary fuel filter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Secondary fuel filter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Hi All,
I had a leak at the sediment bulb/tank joint that bugged me all last year as it constantly dripped, along with the bottom petcock, probably a close to a quart a week. Finally removed the bulb today and found, in addition to the factory round screen inside the bulb fitting, a 3" long fine mesh screen soldered to a tube and pressed into the top of the sediment bulb assembly which then goes up in the tank. I don't recall seeing one like this before and do not plan to reinstall it, thinking it could retard fuel flow. Both screens were super clean. Is it real and should i put it back in?
thanks
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

If both screens were clean, then the extra one probably is not doing any harm.

Not OEM Ford, but adding such a screen was mentioned in the old "Tinkerin Tips" articles in the Vintage Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

That type is called a pencil filter and lots of Model A's have them added to trap the small stuff. The gas sloshing back and forth keeps them open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Thank you. I guess if i have to have a filter I'd rather have it where I can get at it without draining the tank... therefore, the pencil filter is destined to grace the trash can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

The sediment bulb screen is all you need, if you splice a filter into the fuel line you run the risk of new fuel delivery problems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ditch+fuel+filter+mtfca&rlz=1C1PRFA_enUS447US447 &oq=ditch+fuel+filter+mtfca&aqs=chrome..69i57.4940j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I agree with Mark and just had this issue I just discovered when the tank got around 2.5 gallons left in it. It would not flow through the external filter spliced into the line on the frame.

I never gave it thought before, because the tank always had 4-5 gallons and it worked fine. Apparently not enough head pressure on the lower fuel level to push it through the filter. So I replumbed the whole thing with a new line and no filter. Sediment bowl at the tank only. Runs fine now...at least in my garage.

Not sure on the quality, but you can buy new sediment bulbs from the vendors or if you don't care if its stock, you can run a Ford 8N replacement bowl setup available at farm stores---or online. This is what I have, doesn't leak a drop---but did require a bushing to go from 3/8 NPT on the bowl to 1/2" NPT on the tank. They USED to make them with 1/2NPT but I couldn't find one nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Universal type tractor sediment bowl available at Tractor Supply or most any good farm supply. Has built-in very fine screen and convenient shut-off valve as well. Much discussion on this forum in the past as to the success of using universal tractor sediment bowl with good flow with gravity fuel system despite built-in screen fine enough to filter out all but extremely fine debris that will pass thu' carburetor jets with no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

WOW glad I saw this before converting my car, it runs fine as is (factory) but I thought I'd add one because of the garbage fuel today. after reading this, and remembering fuel in the teens was REAL poor quality....think i'll leave well enough alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

An old-time glass bowl filter like this is OK. It's really just an extra sediment bulb that you can see through. It won't obstruct fuel flow like a modern filter. The problem with the ones made for tractors is that they're made to screw into the bottom of the tank, so the gas enters from the top. You may have a bit of a search on your hands to find one with a side inlet like this, but it can be found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

John, if the screen is clean, and tank does not have excessive rust (A nice new clean tank is a plus), there is no reason that a sediment bulb and clean line alone wouldn't supply enough clean fuel.

You could always strain your fuel before it goes into the tank if your really paranoid, but I have removed more modern plastic tanks from newer cars and don't find much sediment in those at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

If you are going to go with a glass bowl, I would think it would be prudent to carry a spare or a short length of fuel line hose in the event of a stone hitting that glass bowl. Just a word of caution. Unless you only drive your T in a corn field, or course. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Removing the extra filter in the tank was the way to go. The car now free starts with only a quart in an otherwise dry tank after sitting 3 months. I'm sure the carb throttle plate replacement and new intake gaskets didn't hurt either. A quart got me around the block and it quit just as I pulled up to the garage. Nice!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration