Battery/box for 1920 Touring questions...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Battery/box for 1920 Touring questions...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Hey guys, two questions:

1. I have a 1920 Touring. The battery (6v Optima) sits in a frame under the rear floorboards. Was the original battery box that fit in this frame a plastic or wood battery box.

2. Is there a reproduction battery box that I can "hide" my optima battery.

Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Robert, what can be seen from the outside is a metal battery box which takes a two piece cover. As far as I know, the batteries were constructed with both wooden and hard rubber cases, both of which went inside the metal box.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Being 68 years old and picking up this and that and going through piles of old car parts on farms, swap meets and etc. I think I maybe have seen just one. I don't recall seeing one at Chickasha either. I know they were used but I just haven't run across one.

In 1971 My father found out about a bldg. full of T parts, engine parts, sheet metal and just about any part that were used on Model T's. But no battery box. I bought all the parts for 175.00 and at the time it was a lot of money.

Anyway maybe I'll see one some day! They are reproduced I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Dang you just gave me a good idea for a battery box for my tourabout (I just need a small bat for starting on dist). I can use a WWI ammo box, they can be found, have a good top and include nice jointed wood. Maybe even mount it thru the firewall and mount the switch on the other end. It could nicely hide the battery under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

The metal battery boxes that the vendors sell have been resized to better fit the currently available group 1 batteries, the OEM Ford battery case will not fit in them.

Larry Smith occasionally does a run of OEM-size boxes, but not the lids, you have to find an original lid via the forum, ebay, or swap meets.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/680364.html?1475281772

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/678168.html?1475382097

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

An Optima will fit nicely diagonally across a standard battery box. You have to get a piece of wood the needed thickness to bring the Optima up even with the top of the battery box. Then it will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Perfect, found a metal battery box... Larry thanks for the info. Sunday I was at the AACA meet and decided to get judged. As I sat in my folding chair I got a great view of my optima battery... I know I'm not winning any trophies but it bothered me since my T is pretty close to the way it should look for a 1920 (yes my spokes should be painted black as well as my bulkhead/firewall but hey the wood gives it character. Besides who is to say an owner would have done this back then?) Anyway, after the show I decided that I should try a bit harder and get picky about what you can see. After the battery box I am replacing the rubber fuel hose with proper looking metal hose and shutoff valve. Everything else looks stock according to the McCalley bible, except the oil lamps up front since mine shouldn't have them (original electric), but again I like them! And eventually I am going to turn them into turn signals... seems no one in south Miami knows what hand signals are anymore!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration