Ujoint pin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ujoint pin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I hope the time will soon come to put the driveshaft back in my '21. I don't have "THE" book yet, but I have one ordered. I've read about peening the driveshaft pin , but have not yet seen a picture. Can someone post a pic of a properly peened pin? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Peening the ujoint pin is a double edge sword. If you peen too much it is hard to remove (been there done it!), but if you don't peen enough it might slip out. More experienced guys can chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Put a bolt in the opposite side as a buck & hammer with a punch from other side.

I think bolt is same a rear spring perch hanger bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Tommy,

If you do put in a bolt to buck the pin, be sure that the head of that bolt is resting on something solid. Otherwise, you run the risk of driving the bolt out of the plug hole and stripping the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

There was just a post on this today or yesterday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

The fan arm bolt also works as a buck. I pre-pein one end of the pin, slight counter bore in the end of the fan arm bolt, insert pin, insert bolt, flop assembly over & pein away !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Make sure the new pin is the correct size: "PIN Universal joint knuckle, 9/32 x 1-1/2, cold rolled type G steel
2574".
I bought one from one of the vendors that was undersize in the diameter so was not a tight fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Do not use a roll pin. It is too hard and if it comes loose it can cut the end of the driveshaft tube off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Do not use a roll pin. It is too hard and if it comes loose it can cut the end of the driveshaft tube off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration