Help needed with 1927 Model T coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help needed with 1927 Model T coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Hello all.. New guy here. I am needing some help. I have had a 1927 Model T Coupe dropped in my lap and don't have any working knowledge of this class of car. Frankly I am at a loss as to how this car functions. I would like to know if there are any early Ford guys on here in the Deep East Texas area around Shelby County.

My step father really wants to see this thing run and I am going to make this happen for him but I have a very short time line of March 20th. I don't have time to go through the learning curve which is why I need to find someone who can give me a head start. If anyone knows of such a person here in my area I would gladly compensate them for their time. I can be reached at (903) 692-1900 Thank you!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

This is what im working with currently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Ralph,

I am not going to be of much help to you. I do see the car appears to have a fresh rebuild or new carburetor. The carb appears to be loose, make sure to check for a gasket there. The car looks to be nice and straight. The splash aprons are perfect and likely have been replaced. I definitely wouldn't kick the car out of my garage. I am sure that someone will chime in here. If everything is OK, I would guess that less that 5 hours of work will get it to run. Driving at anything but a snails pace would probably require another 50 hours of work or so. I think that you are on the right track asking for an experienced person to come and look at it. There are a couple of good utube videos on starting and maintaining a model t. Good luck in your venture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Hello David Thanks for the feedback. Yes Sir the guy my stepdad bought this from claimed that it is a running car but the carb needed some work so this last Friday I rebuilt it only to learn that the housing has a defect and I has to source a new one this AM. I have also purchased the entire engine wiring harness along with the rest of the ignition components. There apparently is a missing component to the Generator which I also ordered today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Only 3 coils. My guess is the 3 you have need to be rebuilt and you will have to purchase a 4th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Drain fuel tank and get a proper fuel shut off. Do this with the battery disconnected. Safety first !!
Geo. n LakeOzark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

I actually have the 4th coil sitting here on my desk. I was thinking of replacing them but at $350 a pop I think Ill see if these are shot first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Maybe some in your area can give you a had but in most cases clean gas,rebuilt carb and fire and she should run. Welcome to the forum, noticed you just joined. Nice car and lots of good knowledgeable T guys on here.... Good Luck!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Coils can be had or rebuilt for around $40.00 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Mr. Booth WOW I did not know you can rebuild the coils. Thank you for the info I will most defiantly be looking into that. If you know of where I can source the rebuild components I would love to know that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the help..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Brent is well known and does fantastic work.

http://www.coildoctor.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

I just restored a '26 Coupe two years ago and have some pictures. These are very fun cars to drive but many safety issues have to be addressed before you should take it out on the road. Feel free to ask whatever you need. I can't answer every question but somebody here will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Ralph, welcome to the affliction. You won't absorb all this by March 20, but it will be useful long term.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Mr Booth you have something there to be very proud of nice job!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Godsey on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Mr. Jelf thank you!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:57 am:

This is a good read for new T owners;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/297601.html?1341112656

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration