Curiosity regarding steering columns? T & TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Curiosity regarding steering columns? T & TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

I was just wondering, did the TT's have a steeper steering rake than the cars? Does the steering column to firewall flange have a different angle pressed into it?
Just Curious.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Since the TT frame is somewhat larger(taller) I suspect the differences are built into the steering box which mounts at bottom of frame.The columns would be same as the cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Jack is right. The TT column is the same as a car. The box at the bottom and the wood block are different to accommodate the TT frame. I'm not aware of any other differences other than the possibility the fasteners may be a little longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

The column is the same but the angle is different. If you put a truck cab on a car frame you must use a truck steering bracket. I think ford just let the firewall flex some to accomplish the correct fit. At least this is the case with closed cabs as I have put 2 cabs on car frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Firewalls interchange
Columns interchange
The bracket at the bottom end are a little different but the angle is the same
Search the 2016 forum I had a discussion on this topic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

If any of the steering parts are different, how come they're not listed in the TT section of the parts book?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

That's a good question Steve. I don't know the answer. I just thumbed through TT1, the TT parts booklet. Although I know for a fact that the lower steering bracket and wood block are different on a TT, there's no mention of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Don't know about LHD parts but in the RHD Canadian Parts book the bracket is listed in with the car steering parts. Maybe it is in the same place. It has a different angle to the cars.
steering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:32 am:

The RHD TT steering bracket angle is the same as the pre 26/27 brackets. The hole spacing is different.

I got a protractor out and measured them all a while ago
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/447946.html?1401625616

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 06:44 am:

Its been 40 plus years since I was involved in looking at the different styles of brackets. When I read Ron's question my first thought was "the bracket angle is different".

I am only going from memory but there was an angle difference with the TT bracket. Exactly what I can't say and I'm,getting to the age where relying on ones memory is a dangerous thing to do.
So maybe there is someone who can confirm Dave Henry's observations.

I am thinking it was because the chassis being wider the bracket angle varies from the car variety because of the chassis frame angle at that point.

In my files I have a copy from one of our clubs magazine which showed a 4th bracket which is not listed in the list above. see below.

The 1911-25 bracket can't be correct as the bracket had to be changed when the generator was added so the steering shaft could be placed between the chassis and the generator.

On LHD this problem didn't arise.
4 brackets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Both TT steering brackets I have on the wall are marked TT932. They are different from the car for reasons listed above. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:56 am:

As far as I know, on the RHD truck brackets there is a boss on the bracket on the inside of the frame rail through which the side mounting bolt passes. This is an easy way to tell a TT bracket. Does the same apply with US TT's?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:59 am:

I used a TT bracket on a chassis I was building one time and it seems like only one bolt hole lined up on the bottom. Can't remember about the side one. I found a car one before driving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Steve and Henry,
Not many of the steering column parts are different than cars so they list those few with the car steering parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Just in case anyone has a RHD Steering Column problem in the future I should add a bit more for reference.
My different angle thought I have tracked down.

When the Generator was added it took Ford Canada a while to solve the problem of keeping the steering RHD. The English decided it was too hard and went to selling LHD Fords.

Canada initially made a bracket to mount the generator on the left of the motor with a belt drive.
For new Model T'ers here is the set up.
\image {RHD belt gene}

The belt drive was not that great, the belt slipped and if tightened too much wore out the fan bushing quick smart.

A solution they did come up with, the column can be placed between the generator and the chassis but there is only enough space for the shaft. So the chassis bracket was placed lower but the column and wheel also had to be moved over to the left to get a easier path. This required the chassis bracket to also have an angle built it which was not parallel to the chassis for the now left position of the steering column.

At this time the firewall was timber and the flange which bolted the column to the firewall had to have a wedge added to the right hand side between the flange and the firewall as it did not now sit flush. This wedge was an aluminium horse shoe shaped piece the diameter of the flange about a 1/4" thick tapering to zero ( it has a Ford Canada part number 3549R -another difference by Canada)

When the steel firewall appeared the angle for the column flange was pressed into the metal and no wedge was needed.

If anyone finds that the steering column does not fit well on a generator equipped with a wood firewall this is probably why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Somehow the photo didn't load
genebelt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration