How about some suspenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How about some suspenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:30 am:

How about getting some suspenders made for the club store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:47 am:

Tom,
Until they do, this is a great place to buy vintage looking items. Very reasonable also.
I have no financial interest in the store, but have purchased items from them.

www.historicalemporium.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:59 am:

Bob, going on their prices, it makes better economical sense to buy a pair of bib overalls. No need for suspenders then.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 08:27 am:

please have them MADE in the U.S.A. !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Model T suspenders are here: (Scroll down) http://modeltfordclubinternationalinc.mysimplestore.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Howcum it's hard to find button on suspenders these days? All I see for sale are the clip on ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Ken,

Just a guess, but maybe it's hard to find pants with suspender buttons on them? (Or a woman who knows how to sew on a button? Now I'm in trouble...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Not much on suspenders, they tend to ride to the sides because of the bulge I have in front.
However , I do wear, as does Steve Jelf, Ivy , Newsboy, Gatsby hats. Anybody else on here wear them? What other hats besides ball caps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Yeah, I often wear sport/newsboy type caps when I am around antique cars, whether on a tour, driving myself, or at a swap meet. On tours I prefer a straw hat. Suspenders only with my antique suits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

I were newsboy, gatsby, and porkpie hats. No ball caps for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

I usually wear a newsboy cap when driving the T. I also have a boater hat (also called a skimmer), but I'm afraid it would blow off while driving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

FWIW Found a black hat on the net, it's a Betty Boobps, and it accepts a "wings" patch very nicely. Also found a brown one, same style. The black one goes good with my pinstripe shirt(with sleeve garters) and black pants w/suspenders. (clip on type). Black belt with a brass cast Ford "oval" buckle. (I haven't found anyone who will make a Ford "wings" brass buckle.) Very effective "get-up" for car shows & parades.
I have a 14 Touring, 90% original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Getting all costumed up can get expensive, but I've learned, thorough my Spectators and Funny Hats exercise, where to get accessorized on the cheap.

First stop is Party City, or, if you don't have one such store in your neighborhood, go to partycity.com. They have all kinds of cool stuff from stick-on, handlebar mustaches for as little as ten for $2.49, to flapper headbands with feathers and long strings of fake pearls, to cigarette-holders and bow-ties and shoe spats, all for very, very cheap prices.

Now, real linen dusters are kind of expensive, but an extra-long, white lab coat will run you less than $20 and who will know the difference? Get that here:
http://www.justlabcoats.com/long-lab-coats.aspx

The hat that goes with the lab coat/duster will be a white Greek Fisherman's Cap. You can get them for as little as $21 on amazon.com. Remove the braided cord from the hat and add to it this pair of ridiculously cheap costume goggles:
http://shop.wwe.com/becky-lynch-steampunk-goggles/W09653.html?utm_source=google& utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping%3A+Product+Listing+Ads+-+G&mkwid= sDVuaAChu&pcrid=176247864191&pkw=&placement=&pmt=&gclid=CPfC9en8xdICFUeHswod60AG sA

All other costume accessories, including odd things like deerskin gauntlets, can be had, for a price, at historicalemporium.com. That'll be your last stop because theirs will be the most expensive version of anything you'll need to buy. On the other hand, their quality is beyond excellent and I bought a really swell derby hat from them.

Unfortunately, most straw hats manufactured today either have too tall a crown or too small a brim to look turn-of-the-century authentic, and that includes the two models available through Gentleman's Emporium/Historical Emporium (same establishment). A really good straw hat with correct proportions would be the holy grail of Model T costuming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 02:52 am:

LOL. I entered this thread thinking you were talking about a different kind of suspender. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Jim,

I use that kind of suspender around my waistline. Works good. Very trimming. The hole allows navel access.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael in northeast Indiana on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Suspenders at Dixie Gun Works

MC6932 "Y" Back Suspenders $14.25
MC6932
Click to enlarge

Elastic suspenders or “braces” as the old timers used to call them are just what you need to finish out that Western outfit. Available in tan or black with metal clips for size adjustment. Equipped with leather tabs for attaching to the buttons on your “britches.” Made 3” longer in front for our “Pot Belly” friends.

Available Options:
Style Selection:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration