1914 Ford at a lumber pile at Newhall Pass LA county CA-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1914 Ford at a lumber pile at Newhall Pass LA county CA-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 07:59 am:

A lot to see in this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 08:01 am:

1913 t,not 14. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 08:59 am:

All I can say is with that wrinkly rear roll up from the factory, I'm no longer concerned about the one tiny wrinkle I couldn't get out of the lower left corner of the roll-up on my new top I put on myself!

I can't see the windshield support arm so I can't tell if it's 13 or 14. They both had the arched rear window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 09:17 am:

That lumber pile is sitting on a flatbed rail car. Too bad we can't see further up the track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Great photo Herb, must be off loading. I dont see to many trees in background for building material. Oxen look tired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Is that acc tailights by rear axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 09:30 am:

The plate does say 1914 . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Yes, but look at the length of the door. Looks very 1913'ish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Door has square lower corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Dallas,

I believe those are accessory shock absorbing springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

..but what's the thing outboard of the right rear wheel??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

hummm looks like a tin can hud cap??????????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Tail lamp is not standard issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Rich & Walter..you have a keener eye than I do! While I was focusing on finding the tell-tale windshield support rod, I didn't even notice the square door. Definitely a '13. Just because the license plate says '14...means it's a year old car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Good chance the top took a whack in the year since it left the dealer's lot.... so go work that wrinkle out of your roll-up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Aw, Walter and Rich beat me to it. Square door =13. Can't keep rear doors closed on rough road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Well then answer this...Are they loading lumber onto the railroad car from the wagon or loading the wagon from the railroad car? Many homes were shipped by rail and then hauled by wagon to the job site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

I think Charley beat everybody !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Either way they are using ox teams, and that's a pretty cool thing to have documented in that picture at that time !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

I thought the kit houses were delivered in boxes, many boxes--Buster Keaton did a great comedy on putting one together (hmm, putting together might not be the right words in this case!)Can't remember the name of it, rats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

The rear fender has no bead on the inside edge, that would make it a 1913, the 1914 rear fenders had the beaded edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

That pass is near where "Magic Mountain" amusement park is located today. My first memory of it was about 1941. There was a tunnel along the main highway connecting between San Fernando and what was then called, "Ridge Route" Now the highway is called, "Grapevine". Originally Grapevine was the north end of the highway from the top of the ridge toward the San Joaquin Valley.

There are also tunnels for the railroad through that area. Most likely the lumber was brought by rail from the north and unloaded at that area to be taken by oxcart to the construction area. There were small towns in the area such as Saugus, Newhall and Castaic. That area is in the foothills of the Tehachapi Mountains about 30 miles north of Los Angeles.

The tunnel on the highway has been gone for many years. Interstate 5 goes through there now.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Dave

When I refurbished an old house for a customer a very old gentlemen came over and told me about the house I was working on. He remembers as a youth he watched the wagons and horse teams deliver all the framing lumber one week from the rail yard and the following week all the interior goods. It was a Sears Home that an old maid school teacher had ordered. When we started to gut the house we found all the studs numbered, lead water pipes, and a side arm water heater still in use as well as many of the bathroom and kitchen fixtures. The house was built in the late 20's and we worked on it in the mid 1990's. I assume the framing lumber was shipped loose and the interior items were in packing crates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 02:48 am:

Dennis,
That's so cool! There's actually quite a few kit houses around here, although I think they've been altered so much that folks seldom see them. I think the American Bungalow magazine should do a write-up about them, many were Craftsman style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 03:03 am:

Getting back to the car, the more I look at it, I don't even think it's a Ford! Looking at the hub on the R/R wheel, the hub doesn't look right. And, looking at the L/R wheel, it has far too many spokes! And, if it's NOT a Ford (and I don't think it is) that would account for why others have pointed out a discrepancy or two, like for instance the tail light. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 07:50 am:

It still looks like it had a transverse rear spring, and I don't know about any other manufacturers using that? Ok, there's something by the spring ends that might be some type of accessory shocks. And maybe the tail light was a round Victor used on some of the early 1913 Model T production?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 08:22 am:

This photo intrigues me. I think the car is an electrified 13 Tee. I also think the lumber is being loaded onto the rail car since the oxen seem to have recently been worked ,but where are the wagons/sled? There is only one wagon visible. also, there are two men holding one board who look like inspectors/graders. There are some questions I would like to ask, but got to get to work. I am headed to a sawmill today to repair the trim saw setworks (electronic).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 08:46 am:

David,All in One Week is the title of the silent Buster Keaton movie where he and his new bride 'erect'a kit house.Absolutely hilarious.On youtube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 10:02 am:

It's a '13 T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:30 am:

I love all of the sleuths on the forum. At first glance I was wondering how the heck anyone could tell the year, but yeah, I had forgotten about the door shape. I totally missed the 'incorrect' tail light too. This is fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:43 am:

What kind of dog has horns like that ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Burger,

I am surprised you don't know!...IT'S a BULL DOG!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Dennis, Those yokes of oxen are almost sure to be "has been" bulldogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Looks like redwood to me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Jim, THAT'S IT!! Thanks. Notice my OT thread, I think David Shepard restored that one too. Buster was famous for doing his own stunts. The one where the building falls over on him and he's standing in the door was "one take"--can you imagine the accident insurance people seeing that one filmed???
"NNNNOOOOOOOOO!"
"Excuse me, did you say something? -- oh, that's a wrap, folks!"
(With silents, you didn't have to be quiet on the set.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Sears sold over 70,000 homes from their calalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Would the owner of the 13 electrified ford please move your car? We need a wider view of this scene. Is the ox on the far right yoked with a half yoke? How many oxen(steers) were hitched to wagon? I see three men but at least eight steers(oxen). What is the contraption directly behind the man in overalls? I originally thought it was some kind of wagon but now realize I can see the lumber stack through it. Is it an optical illusion or is that not a strange faced steer on the right? More questions later......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 08:58 am:

They are probably on what is known as Sierra Hwy. Back then it probably wasn't called anything. Those railroad tracks are probably the ones that came around from Bakersfield via Mojave to LA. BTW, those hubcaps on that Ford sure seem unusual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:37 am:

you are seeing the seat on the wagon. they all have full yokes. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Hubcaps for driving a belt? I really have no idea. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

This is really a recent picture of work on California's new high speed rail project thanks to Jerry Brown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Four yoke ? Probably one hitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Nothing odd about the hubcap at all, the light spot getting everyone's attention is the ground in front of the car that you can see below the running board and above the shadow from the front wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Charley, I intended to say "some kind of wagon seat". I left out "seat". I'm sure you are correct about the full yoke, but as hard as I try, I can see only a half yoke .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

look behind the black ones ear. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

derek! you are right on the hub cap. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration