Neat trick for drilling centered holes through rod.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Neat trick for drilling centered holes through rod.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 09:47 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTWtHOVyPI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Anyone who has a milling machine and has to do that nonsense instead of using a dial indicator or edge finder should be ashamed.

(No disrespect meant to you Tom for posting it.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Interesting, I can see where that would be helpful for us guys that don't have fancy tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Guess you have to pay someone to make the guide for you? I use my drill press. I dont have the fancy equipment. If it has to be that perfect I take it to one of my buddys with machine shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Just reread my posting above. I really didn't mean to come off as jerk when I wrote it... sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

I have a drill guide that you chuck into your drill, it has a chuck on it that fits in a guide with two rods and a base. The base allows you to drill perfectly vertical holes in a horizontal board (or vice-versa) but it also has a built in V block to let you drill holes centered through a round object. Wasn't very expensive, and I've found it useful for many things.Mine has "Portaline Tool Co. San Diego, CA" on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

I just use a v-block and never have an issue, I do center punch the shaft. If you are matching a part, I only drill 1/2 way, install mating part then drill from the other side using a pin or bolt to keep it centered. Probably nothing much better than a drill fixture if you have the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Leave it to a machineist with all the tools and plenty of time on his/her hands. V-block as mentioned above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Nothing wrong with drill guides. They have been used for years. The benefits are ease in centering, and less likelihood of a wandering drill bit, especially when entering a convex surface. The method in the video makes sense to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Tim Eyssen makes a device, Handy Holer, that makes drilling on round stock a so easy task. It centers the holes perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

I spent a lot of my machining career making jigs for drilling holes in parts that are only fancy drill guide. I have easier ways to do that but for those that don't the neat thing is that it uses
The stuff you already have I like it. Philip

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration