Wire wheel Model T-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wire wheel Model T-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:54 am:

A sharp looking touring car. I like the seat covers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Same wheels as this? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/model-t/1925034.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

I don't think so.
Hemmings car look like Frayer despite being called Phelps.
Above appear to me to be Pasco like these:

a

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

i'm pretty sure that "Freyer" and Phelps are essentially the same wheel and are interchangeable. And yes I believe the wheels in the Hemmings ad are probably Freyer/Phelps
I have 9 what I believe to be Phelps wheels. Unfortunately the original hub caps (which are only for appearance and don't hold the wheel on) appear to be non existent!! My understanding is they were made from a early form of "die cast" (pot metal), before they knew that the trace amounts of lead caused them to swell and crack and fall apart. After studying every scrap of literature and original picture I could find, I have made a pattern and cast some from bronze for my own use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Boy! Those tires look small to me! 30" x 3" maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Following up on the "wire wheel" subject - Layden - do you know the whereabouts of a PASCO hub puller or photo of one ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Without question, the wheels shown on the Hemmings racer are not Phelps. ( Les Schubert will back me up on this one ) . Both Phelps and Frayer have dental drive method but the Frayer outer bronze caps have teeth on them. The wheel rims have a tooth spring that rides on the cap teeth to keep the cap from turning .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Whoops - I was too slow to hit the Send button and some other guys got in front of me. The wheels of Frayer/Phelps are kind of like Buffalo - House Quick Change, they interchange. I am going to have to learn how to post pictures onto this site . I could show how the hubs differ and how the wheel rims differ with the finger spring part , though the wheels will very likely interchange hubs. ( I have never tried a cross fit yet )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Ed,

To post a picture, just use the image tag, like this:

\image{reminder of which image}

Note the braces are the curly ones, not the usual.

When you preview you will see a box saying there is an image. When you post, it will change to a browse button to go find the image you want to upload. Just keep the file size below about 200 kilobytes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Frayer wheels did not have drive pins they used a spline drive and the caps have outside teeth angled left and right that engaged with spring clip that was part of the wheel hub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

I have a large copy of this picture hanging on my wall. Bought it at the Portland Swap Meet 6-7 years ago. The wheels are definitely Pasco's. I wonder if he was showing off the T accessories that were available at the time. Maybe he's a salesman for them??
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:56 am:

That is only about the third original Pasco wrench I have ever seen. I bought my Pasco wheels from Lewis Rector about 25 years ago, he never could find a wrench for them, I stumbled on one in a box of junk at an auction years later.

Layden, is any of that for sale??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 03:10 am:

Here's my wrench

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Scott
Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the Freyer hub cap? I would appreciate seeing the attachment method you have described.
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 10:34 am:

I'll be bringing a set of Pasco wheels to Bakersfield.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Les my dad had the Frayer wheels set of six 30 by 3 1/2 that he bought in the early 70's they were sold years ago to someone in Florida I don't have any photos the caps threaded on, similar in design to Dayton #10 but the outside of cap had shark like teeth angled back depending either left or right thread, wheel center had spring attached that let cap thread on because of angle of teeth to remove one pried spring up then loosen cap. Hope this makes sence

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Yes both Frayer and Phelps are a dental drive with gear teeth between the wheel center and hub. They were made by the same company and the Phelps -Frayer name adds confusion. Frayer hubcaps thread on to the hubs similar to House or Daytons. Phelps use a flat round plate in front with 3 bolts thru it into the hub, see Kevin's ad for a puller in the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:39 am:

just looked at pictures of car there are a couple of decent shots of caps nice looking car although owner is taking several liberties in description. A few model T based cars attempted to qualify for Indy the only ones to succeed were Fronty Fords except for the Fronty based Hamlin Spl. that made field in 26 which was the first year of the 1 and 1/2 liter years (91 cubic inches) last year was 1930 ist year of so called junk formula all seven cars were had Dayton #10 wheels all 20 inch as far as I know. I can't stand when someone without the facts talks like they do so people trying to learn do not get correct info nothing wrong with saying I'm not sure but will try to find out. Sorry for rant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Phelps rear wheel hub
with the retainer plate

phelps/Frayer spline wheel
Phelps/Frayer wheel
CNC machined wooden hub cap pattern
CNC machined wooden pattern
wax copy of the hub cap
Wax copy of the hub cap
one of the bronze castings
One of about 10 bronze castings of the hub cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Anyone - - PASCO hub puller photo or otherwise ????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

I'll take a photo later of the "PHELPS" solid brass caps for the wheel set on a '13 Touring I'm restoring for a fellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Steve
That would be great. If what I have done is incorrect I can always melt these down and remake them!! I'll be back at bronze casting school in July at Red Deer Alberta!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Sorry for the delay - I do not know the origin of these caps Les - they came with the wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Anyone have a photo of or a "real" PASCO hub puller ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration