Leaky front main

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Leaky front main
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

I have a front main leaking oil. Are they anyway fixing it with out pulling the motor and removing the oil pan.are they any kind of aftermarket seal available? thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

You can apply a new circular seal to the front of the engine after removing the front pulley and cleaning the area around the crankshaft. Others will chime in on the correct seal and how to prepare it and seal it to the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Hi Harold,

A rear axle cap felt seal # 2510B fits well on the crankshaft and is a just tight enough fit behind the pulley. It likely will get you through the driving season. Good luck with your project, Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Harold ; Here are some pictures of how I glue the seal on the block and oilpan.
1393M
1394M
2542M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

How much is it leaking? Drip? Steady stream? How old are the seals? Has the engine been sitting for a long time and seals dried out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Harold, If you Google my name with crankshaft oil seal MTFCA you'll find several threads and some part numbers. Toon has posted some really nice pictures to give you the idea how to stop any dripping at the front crankshaft. I really like the way he did a little surface sanding but if your engine is assembled it's not required. I cut the seal opening up all the daisy pedals.

I like to use a seal with a larger lip and make sure to fit it so you don't have any sharp edges. The Real Key is clean the surface of any oil and grime and Make Sure to use ULTRA BLACK made by Permatex. Let it dry over night and WhaaLa no more leaks that cover the under side of you car from front to back from the crankshaft.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration