Nut removal on stripped piston rod bolt?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Nut removal on stripped piston rod bolt?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Hi I managed to strip a piston rod bolt. The nut just spins and will not come off. How can I get it off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

There is tool made called a "nut splitter". If you google it you should likely find a picture. You can probably buy one at a decent tool store or perhaps rent one. I trust you realize that once it is removed you really should replace the rod bolt (probably all of the rod bolts have been stretched and are now weakened from over tightening)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:23 am:

if its accessable from the bottom, try clamping vice grip on the nut and turning CCW while pulling on the pliers- it will probably come off that way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 04:44 am:

Les, do you think that there is enough room to get a nut splitter on the nut? The ones that I have seen (granted, that has been MANY years ago :-) ) would be way to big to fit on a con rod nut, I think. That being said, that is a good idea if one would fit. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 05:55 am:

Take an angle grinder with a thin blade and cut up thru the end of the bolt until the nut is almost cut in two lengthways, then tap a chisel into the cut in the nut. The nut will split off. As Les said previously get a new set of rod bolts and nuts. Best of luck! Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 08:31 am:

I had this problem as well. I took a wood chisel and pried the nut down while simultaneously ratcheting it. The downward pressure helped get the nut on thread... I just hope this is not on the #4 - so little work space there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 10:02 am:

take punch and drive the bolt up through the nut. you have to take the bolt out anyway. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 10:21 am:

This is on piston #1. The rod bolt is also stuck. It is rotated slightly and I think mashed down into its socket so it will not come out easily. This happened before it stripped. This is kind of a mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Ignacio,

Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Rod bolts have a "flat" on one side to lock it into the rod - try to twist it so the flat is back in position then perhaps, with a substantial flat blade screw driver you can hold the bolt from attempting to turn again a whilst pulling off the nut ?

Or, get the large reinforced "cut-off" wheels for your Dremel and just cut the Ba---rd off !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 01:59 am:

So I finally got this removed and straightened out. A nut splitter would not fit, tight fit even for a Dremel and risk damaging the cap. So I jacked a piece of 2 by 4 onto the rod bolt end to force the stripped piston rod bolt up then used a box end wrench to turn the nut down. Worked.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration