Lug bolt size not the same?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lug bolt size not the same?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I have new lug bolts from Lang's. My Hayes rim bolt head hole size is smaller. See picture below of new lug bolt from Lang's and old one. The square head on the right is obviously smaller and the new bolt does not slide in. I think the round diameter is also somewhat larger. What do I do now? My Dremel tool is having a very difficult time on the rim steel to enlarge the square hole. I would rather use a shiny new one than the grungy old one.

Lug bolt head size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Debre is probably blocking the square hole in the rim. A square file will remove that and a BAH should fix getting the new bolt to seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:30 am:

What is a BAH?

Two new bolts on the same rim fit without problems. One almost fit. I had to Dremel and file both the rim and a little on the bolt. This last hole looks a lot smaller. So just keep filing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Big A$$ Hammer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Big Amazing :-) Hammer.

Apparently two of the holes are big enough. I second Jack's suggestion. I'd use a square file to correct the two undersize holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

I have found on some wheels that the 'carriage bolt' square part does not want to seat due to the HEIGHT of the flats.

In that case I just jack them in by using a heavy nut and sacrificial washer, then once fully seated just back out the jacking nut and washer, and replace with the regular nut...and PEEN over.

Figure they then are in there mighty tight...will be a bear to get out later/but probably not in my lifetime...but that may not be a bad thing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

George,since these are the rim fello bolts,I don't think you'd want to pean them over.. YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

I like a BFH, but then, I'm a filthy ol' man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Jack...good call...lol....I read the words and paid no real attention to the picture...

Silly me....sorry Ignacio...sorry forum...thought we were talking hub bolts here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Big
Forceful
Hammer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

BAH worked great, thanks! Results can be seen at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/728877.html?1489115697

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration