Hahahaha. The Joke Is On Them

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hahahaha. The Joke Is On Them
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 10:49 am:

On the news this morning was a piece about how crooks can "hack" your car. This includes unlocking it to steal it and, in the newer cars, operating the steering and brakes remotely. They also said the CIA was studying this possibility with the purpose not specified.

Hahahaha. Drive your T and you are immune from this nonsense!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:32 am:

But Henry ! .... without backup cameras, on board navigation, and
cup holders, how is anyone reasonably expected to drive them ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I'd like to see them hack my 26 Buick / 27 Model T / 46 Plymouth / 50 Dodge / 65 Corvair or 72 Comet! but it would keep them busy trying to get a WiFi connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Why would the CIA want to hack cars?
You could ask Michael Hastings if he was still alive...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Don't worry!

The government will take care of you until they decide your too old or sick to live.

End of life facilities coming to your town soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

I hacked a '62 Biscayne once. It made a pretty good light duty pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

At the risk of this becoming even more political.....I truly have mixed emotions on this subject. It's just like the Edward Snowden thing. On one hand, it pisses me off that some guy would expose state secrets that may end up costing lives, maybe even your own, and certainly tons of taxpayer dollars as these organizations have to develop new means of doing what they do. But on the other hand.......it really pisses me off to know for a fact that my government has already and continues to violate my 4th amendment rights. It essentially says they can't search my person, home, papers, or effects without a warrant which as to be based on probable cause. It doesn't say they can search and seize anything they damned well please and just not READ it or LISTEN to it until they have said warrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Like Ya! What Hal said.

Things were simpler when I was young!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul G in Central Florida on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Hack em ?

Those all have built in security systems - called a manual transmission !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Remember "The Club"?? Well, it's gonna make a big comeback real soon. Better buy stock in the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

G.R., my grandmother had a '50 Dodge and when I got my driver's license, our family car was a '51. Ours had Gyromatic, my grandmother's didn't. A few years ago, when they were shooting the movie The Game of Their Lives here in St. Louis, I ended up driving in several scenes. I remember once I spent several hours driving around the same block downtown in a '50 Dodge. I had forgotten how many turns from lock to lock the steering was on those cars. (87, wasn't it? :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

This is the only "hack" that'll work on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

The CIA is selling a kit to turn your new car into a Hack??? Or did I miss something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Paul G ; all except the '72 that is my wife's car (she was tired of all my cars having a transmission she could not operate so I bought her that one)
Dick : seems like you can turn that wheel forever, just start 2 blocks before you need to turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Fred; have you been staying up late and watching Soylent Green again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Hi Fred,

You wrote:

"Don't worry!

The government will take care of you until they decide your too old or sick to live.

End of life facilities coming to your town soon!"

Oh come on now, with the new Trumpcare and the resulting improved health care it will make the Health Care Industry great again. It will be HUGE. Believe me! It will be the greatest health care the world has ever seen. Terrific.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

G.R. I haven't seen that movie in many years. (Now if I was a millenial, I'd have said.. 'in like, you know, 30 years'!!) Good movie!

Bill, I'm poor at detecting sarcasim vs. serious. I do know I was never a fan of Obamacare, yet just this year I had to buckle under and sign up the wife for it (separate ins. coverage for us..long story)...and HAD to use the Marketplace Subsidy or we just couldn't afford it, and it's still the lousiest coverage one could afford. Now I'm afraid for what it's gonna end up costing us if it gets switched to tax credits. Unless it's a refundable credit, won't hurt us too awfully bad. Still gonna cost more, for much much less. Sigh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Just park with the parking brake forward and they won't even know how to start the car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Monopoly? Destroy the free market and thats what you have. Mine went up 150% in 3 years. $800 a month for major medical for just me. Never used health insurance. $5000 deductable. My 1st appointment should have been with proctologist when I switched over to wifes ins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Some of my restorations are considered a hack job..... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

I am sure that my '23 was hacked by the previous owners. I am slowly "unhacking" it.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Are "hocking" and "hacking" the same thing? Years ago when I smoked I'd "hack" up a lung from time to time. But afterwards I'd find it necessary to "hock" a lugee.

Never mind, please don't respond to what I'm asking. I don't think I'd want to see the direction such a discussion would take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Bill Harper,

You are correct!

Trump is currently seeing if congress can do something all by themselves and inspite of his encouragement they are failing.

My NASA connection (not a space shot) has info he can't share but what he can share is amazing.

The swamp is being drained and there is hope, but only if you are a deplorable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Mike,..... I thought it was "hawking" up a lung! At any rate, what you said should be a "lesson" for some of these "invincible" young folks (or anybody) in regard to smoking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

......sorry Mike,..... I responded anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:28 am:

What I aint figured out is why the American people are so naive as to believe they are safe from this. If folks can sit in some 4th world septic tank country and hack into our home computers and clean out our bank accounts, why would they not hack into our cars and create a bug that can't be fixed without a "ransom" or just plain take you out for no reason.

The power steering on some cars is electric,the cars can park them selves.The onstar can do things no one talks about. I know 1 guy that bought a 2012 chevy pickup and did not subscribe to the onstar. But 1 day just out of the blue,a voice came over the speakers asking him questions and what not. About caused him to have a accident just being terrified by the sudden interruption.
I remember last year some folks were showing how they could hack into a Chrysler product. But so far, knock on wood,I aint heard of Ford being hacked yet.
Now without getting to political, notice both company's were the 1's bailed out by the government? "yea, here is your bail out, now here is what we really want in return".

I would like to get a later model truck sometime but I am hearing to many things about the fuel management causing cam failures and the transmissions are seemingly rubber bands just waiting to break. A stick shift, try buying 1 now. And now looking at the big picture, well duh, if it was stick shift, the computer stuff couldn't move the vehicle! Hum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Anybody wanna back me financially to retrofit new trucks with standard shift tranny's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:01 am:

GR
That would be driverless trucks by the masses. Nobody knows how to drive them and its to much work. We have one manual shift truck left on the fire department and only a few of us know how to drive it. Soon it will be a driverless truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Being an old, distrustful dog who hates the idea of learning new tricks, I was very leery about anti-lock brakes. _Man, was I ever wrong! _On the other hand, in this over-computerized world, one can't help but wonder about things like the proverbial "happy medium." _In Aristotle's Rhetoric, "All things in moderation" is attributed to Chilo, one of the Seven Sages of ancient Greece (I only mention that because it makes me sound ever so much more impressive).

There's a stubborn part of me that balks at sharing control of a potentially deadly motor vehicle with something incapable of actual thought or the consideration of consequences. _Heck, I don't even like when another human is in the driver's seat. _Perhaps more reasonably, I object that there's an extent to which all these automated crutches enable the development of bad driving habits. _There will be drivers, particularly young ones, who form dependence on, for instance, that new mechanism which won't allow you change lanes in the direction of an approaching vehicle. _That driver may eventually decide it's no longer important to turn his head and look. _It's arguable that these computerized co-piloting mechanisms make for less capable, less safe drivers. _And Heaven forbid they ever have to drive an older car without all the computerized whiz-bang gimmicks.

But this new thing, this idea that some outside force has access to the primary controls of a moving vehicle through remote radio control is just not acceptable. _Self-contained? _Yeah, maybe okayŚwithin reason, but certainly not by remote control. _And even more seriously, certainly not something that can be hacked by some malevolent entity. _And this is before I even get onto the subject of the accompanying anonymous intrusion of privacy or a potential governmental over-reach of authority. _Sheesh! (first quoted by Fred Flintstone, way before any of those Greek guys)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

The new truck we bought about 4 years ago is a nice little 4 door 4 cylinder turbo diesel. Minimal electronics as well as minimal safety requirements. You can actually see all the engine if you lift the hood.

As far as Snowden, leaks etc. Of course they should be punished but only a fraction of what those that take away our rights and freedoms should be punished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

fred flintstones car was hacked too, with an axe! and in the news yesterday, the fbi uses the geek squad at best buy to scan your home computer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Bob: just the reason my computer has no hard drive and does not run winders or macintushi!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

With few exceptions, I can see no reason whatsoever to own a vehicle
newer than 1969. They are cheaply made, plastic, ugly, and increasingly
dependent on sensors and other modulating devices (and the inherent
support maintenance systems and knowledge) just to keep them on the
road. For ANYONE who drives and maintains such a simple vehicle as
a Model T, this difference should be stupidly obvious.

Any major purchase I make gets a thorough evaluation for pros and cons.
I can think of LOTS of pros for owning a TT flatbed. I can think of a few
cons. Most of those cons can be engineered out, with the possible exception
of limited braking potential. But I can make my truck go as fast as a T car.
I see fewer pros for owning a T car. I want the farm look. I want to haul
farm stuff. So I never considered owning a T car. Pros and cons.

If I really had my druthers, I would have bought a big pre-1930 sedan that
had been cut down into a truck in 1930, but most of those have become
too valuable and had new bodies made. A con. But the biggest con is
parts availability for a 1918 Cadillac or 1922 Locomobile. With the less
substantial little TT, I can get most any part I might happen to need, with
a phone call and credit card. Break down in Tucumcari ? No problem.
Pick up the phone and parts are in the mail. Do that in a 1925 Peerless
and the trip is over. The vehicle will have to be trucked back home and
a long part search initiated. Would a cut down old monster, made in to
a truck be super cool ? Why yes it would ! But the cons of scarcity and
parts put a damper on that idea. The TT achieves a similar end and has
the extensive support network.

But a new car ? I just shake my head. Being an aesthetically-driven person,
the fact that they are so plastic and look like a turd with tail lights rules
them out straight up. But the reasons people give me for why they buy a
new car astound me. It is such a mindless bunch of drivel, just like this
driverless car idea is a steaming mound of manure as a good idea. Explain
to the world why anyone would want to forego their control of a potentially
lethal hunk of metal, forego the driving experience, and enclose themselves
in a cocoon with all that electronic distraction BS they are putting in cars these
days, .... nevermind any of that stuff going onthe fritz, .... show me a single
"pro" in this equation !!!

All I can see is legions of drones and lemmings following a mindless drum
beat to do something that makes no sense at all, and putting their pathetic
lives out there for bad people they want to convince themselves do not
exist to mess with them.

Old cars are made of solid materials, can be fixed with basic knowledge
and hand tools, and no one can manipulate them from a remote location.
They look good, or at least interesting, and above all, they are Americana.
A concept entirely lost on 99% of the Costco shoppers and consumer drones
that thing vinyl siding is a "great idea". Fills me with the urge to defecate.

What ever happened to character and cool ?

x

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration