New leather fan belt installation question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New leather fan belt installation question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Hey guys,
I ordered a leather fan belt and it arrived in the mail this morning. I opened the box and it seems pretty 'stiff'... am I supposed to soften the leather before I install it? Or just install it as is and it'll soften over time...
Thanks in advance...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Just install. It will soften and stretch on its own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 05:59 am:

Robert, make sure antifeeze doesn't get on it! Don't ask how I know! :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:10 am:

David, it would be most helpful if you would elaborate on the effect antifreeze had on your leather belt. You could let us know that without having to reveal "state secrets" ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 11:00 am:

I've never been able to get one to stay on. I use those new Gates belts from Langs. They are the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Rich, it made it hard as a rock and as soon as I started the engine, it broke. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Have run two of them for 3 years - no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Ran one on my 1912 for 8 years. Still on there now that John owns the car. Mine was made by Russ Furstnow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

David, thanks for the reply, that's what I wanted to know. Some kind of a reaction with tanning agents no doubt. Leather belts went out before ethylene glycol started to be used as antifreeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

You can always order a small serpentine belt and flip it inside out. Works wonderfully just doesn't have that right "look"

Of course it would make a nice piece to carry as a spare . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration