1913 Paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 Paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

This week forum member Tim Wrenn asked me to check front fender brackets on my original 13 for him. I took some pictures and forwarded them to him.

When you look at them on the car the paint looks black. When I uploaded the pictures the paint looks blue. Were they blue, or is the camera picking up pigment? I'm not well informed on brass cars, but I don't ever remember seeing an all blue 13. I have seen all blue 12's. My car was a Nov/1912 built car, and has many 12 parts on it. When Larry Smith and RV Anderson were here during the 2016 MTFCI Tour, they spent a lot of time looking the car over, and found many unusual and odd things about this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Find a hidden area and do a solvent or compound test with a white cloth. If blue (or whatever else) it will be obvious on the cloth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Thanks Dan! I'll be watchin' for them! Wow, that sure does look blue, doesn't it. Another of the many Model T mysteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

put some shellac on it and the color will pop. alcohol will take it back off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Tim, I sent them yesterday, I just sent them again. Let me know if you don't get them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Walter, I tried compound without positive results on the body.
Brian, I will have to try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

What was the result?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Walter, I used a fine polishing compound on the body itself, no actual color showed up. I also did a spot under the hood, as its aluminum the paint is in better shape. It shined up, but appears to be black.
When I get it out this year I will try a spot under the fender where I took the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 07:42 am:

Thanks Dan. I'm waiting in physical therapy now..won't be able to look until around 10 when I get done with other errands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 08:00 am:

Regardless of whether it's black or blue, you should have the color appear on the white cloth. It sounds as though you may be working through a layer of clear varnish. The degradation of a layer of clear varnish over the actual color will also distort what you see with your eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Looks black on my screen mixed with rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:50 am:

In the encyclopedia Bruce says blue was used from 1911 to "early 1913". So I would guess whether this car is black or blue depends on when during the model year it was made. Of course we know that the blue on Model T's was so dark that it looked black except in direct sunlight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:56 am:

The inside of the hood on my '13 still has the original paint on it. I have rubbed it, and it appears black. The only thing I've ever seen blue on is the wheels. I'm painting my '13 runabout at the moment, and I'm using a very dark blue, which appears black in the shade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Dan, I
have a 13 also. Mine also has aftermarket electric headlights exactly like (even though I can't see all of the light) the one shown. There is no markings at all on mine and I would appreciate any information anyone can post regarding these lights. I have never before seen lights such as these and know NOTHING about them. Thank you,Lenney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Lenny, The headlights aren't aftermarket.They are E&J's, 1912 Style, as are all the other lights.

This car also has the early frame, and the early think sills, no body reinforcement provisions. Early front fenders, large patent plate, no made in USA on anything except the radiator. Early tail light bracket, one piece pan retainer. Knurled throttle and spark advance rods. 12 horn, Jones speedometer, Kingston coil box. 12 drag link, 12 timer cover, cast knob on the fan bracket, screw type plug on pan and rear end. Windshield with even sized halves, cast carburetor stove, slotted screws holding the steering column base. 1912 dash shield and guide. Seats are all leather. 1912 exhaust manifold, and early body stripeing. This car still has the original top, top boot, front floor mat, side curtains, and rear rug.

Larry Smith and RV Anderson came up with a list of other oddities.

This is a very unusual and interesting car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Dan,
I also have an early 13 touring with the 12 style frame. It also has original brass style head lamps.....other lamps are black/brass. The color under your fenders looks blue to me on both my computer screen and monitor.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Les, I have seen a few pictures of 13's when new that had 12 lights. One in particular that I think Jay posted full of people that really shows the lights, but I couldn't find it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration