Need a #55 original key for my 1927 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need a #55 original key for my 1927 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

The 27 Model T I bought last week did not come with a key. The lock has 55 stamped on it. I borrowed an original #55 key from a friends car and it works great so I bought a new key and it does not fit.
Would very much appreciate it if someone has an extra original #55 for a 1927 Model T and would be willing to sell it to me.
Thanks,
Les Von Nordheim

Cell # 760-803-7393 E-mail: vonnordheim@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Didn't somebody just have a few for sale in the Classifieds?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

I'll look - don't have any NOS 55's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Oops, my bad, that one was a reproduction key. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Les you can try to file the key. Sometimes the pot metal will swell with age and the key will not in the slot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Tim.....I tried some filing and just got tired of putting up with a key that would not even start in to the switch. The new key is brass and files easily....it just totally does not want to fit.

I was able to try an original #55 key from a friends car and it fit perfectly....so I know how the key should fit. I know the repo vendors try to make replacement items to be form, fit and function like original parts.....sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Appreciate those who are looking in their stash to see if they have an extra #55 key. With all the model T keys around, some one...."Hopefully" will have a #55 for a 27 T that they are willing to part with.

Thank you for looking.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:34 am:

Three #55 on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ford-Model-T-Automobile-Key-55-Brass-Scroll-Logo -Model-A-Vintage-/262887726889?hash=item3d35545f29:g:08YAAOSw2gxYwXEv

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ford-Script-Model-A-Model-T-55-Ignition-Key-T-58 15-C-circle-mark-1-/162420288898?hash=item25d100ed82:g:TzcAAOSwSlBYvMp-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ford-Script-Model-A-Model-T-55-Ignition-Key-T-58 15-C-circle-mark-2-/162420294964?hash=item25d1010534:g:b64AAOSw4CFYvMtH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 01:35 am:

Thanks Erik,
I just bought the first one on your list and am very happy......thanks again.
I had checked eBay shortly after getting the model T and missed seeing any #55 original keys.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 01:42 am:

Les: I have these two. One looks a bit bent. Let me know if you want them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Worn keys usually fit better in worn locks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:59 am:

The 1926 T we have been working on, found that the repo #55 (this may apply to other key numbers as well), you have to pull the key out just a little for it to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I don't have a #55 but I purchased a master set that ranges from #51 - #74 from a vender some years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Les, let us know if that key works. :-)

A few years ago, I bought this one (Mac's? Lang's?) and it fit like a glove. Strange.
key

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I got mine off off EBay, every now and then some one has a bunch of keys and lists all the numbers. Got mine for 10bucks. Took about 2 months of careful watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

When the key arrives next week, will try it and ....hopefully be able to report that it works.

Wished new 1927 gas tanks were available for coups....after sitting with gas?? for over 40 years....the tank is a mess. Soaking with Lacquer thinner trying to get the varnish out.....will follow up with phosphoric acid to clean out the rust. I have done it before with good results.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:15 am:

Les, I know it won't help you now, but I always look for keys at Flea Markets and Antique stores. I have found several over the years, some were era correct aftermarket, but they are kind of cool to, and they still work. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:49 am:

I wonder if you could take the original 55 key you borrowed, along with the repro to a key shop. It seems like they could trace the old one onto the repro for you. If you need to borrow an original for a pattern, I have a bunch of them. Of course I'm assuming the thickness is the same. If it isn't then none of my remarks will do you any good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

I need a #55 key also. I have 2 tumblers, no key.
Thank you Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

My car came with one of the round ones like Bill pictured and 3 reproduction ones. The repos did not work as the groove was cut in the wrong spot. I used a Dremil to widen the groove. Works okay for the spare key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

I'm a happy camper, THANK you Bill. The reproduction and the "Original" looking #55 that I bought off E-bay did not fit. The one's I got from Bill fit perfectly. Comparing the one's that fit vice those that do not.....the thicker one's do not want to go in the switch and also have the groove located higher than it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:47 am:

Les,

Did you happen to notice the name "KLUM" anywhere on the ignition switch?

The shape of the keys in the photo posted by Bill Harris are typical of the ones made by Klum. Klum was also a supplier to Dodge Brothers.

If your switch is a Klum, that would explain why those keys fit so well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration