Well, live and learn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Well, live and learn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Yesterday I posted a picture of what I thought was a great way to mount tires on split rims. The turnbuckle is great for pulling the ends together, however the turnbuckle "buckled" when I tried to push the ends apart. Back to square one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Not my idea, but I always thought this method looked pretty clever for expanding the rim back out. The wood blocks can do double duty as wheel chocks. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Perhaps you could find a small piece of square channel stock and weld a nut at each end the size of the yoke and insert your threaded yoke into the channel. It would be a lot stronger then the turnbuckle frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Works for me. Can be carried in tool box. Made from black pipe and threaded rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Thanks for the good ideas. I like the all thread and two nuts. I have that stuff already in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, some times you don't !"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Gary - I agree with Mike,.... looks like a neat sort of "combination" tool. Judging by notches in ends of pipe segments, it appears that "the tool" might also serve as a jack handle for modern hydraulic jack too, huh? Great ideas there at any rate,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Oops! Meant to say that I agree with John Mays, but then,..... maybe I agree with Michael too,...... (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Been using the turn buckle for years, never could get anyone else interested. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Model t jack between the lugs works just fine, jb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Proper rim jack tools aren't hard to find. They are at swap meets and eBay all the time. Why not just get one and put it in your tool box? They are so much easier to use than homemade tools and brute force. They can be had for less than $50. I have a Hercules rim jack NOS in the original box with instructions I have had at a few swap meets for $100. No takers so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:50 am:

I have used a rim jack on the 23" rear rims on my TT with no problems. I don't see any need to go to all of the trouble to find a different way to do a very simple operation, as Erik said. JMHO Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration