Measurements Battery Box cover needed,with rounded corners.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Measurements Battery Box cover needed,with rounded corners.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I am in need of the exact inside measurements of the Battery Box cover with the round top corners. It appears to me that they are a little smaller than the square top covers.
Thanks, Don Vagasky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

The one on my car is 9 3/8 by 7 5/8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Mark, well just as I thought, the square cornered ones I have measure 9 1/2 X 7 3/4.
Now,....I have several Battery carriers, one measures 9 3/4 X 7 1/2 (P/N 5150 1919-23?) and the others measure 9 5/8 X 7 7/8(P/N 5150B 1923-27?).
The Battery Box measurements that were in that link you sent me, will not fit in a 9 3/4 X 7 1/2 carrier, and certainly the covers won't either.
Also,the 5152 Clamps were different from the more common type.
Anyway, trying to sort this out before going any further.
Ref: Price list of parts August 5, 1928.
Thanks again Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Sorry to hear that. :-( I guess you'll have to make some adjustments to the box dimensions in the link in order to make a box that is compatible with the other hardware you have.

I must have gotten lucky somehow, I built a battery box using the dimensions in the link and it slid right into the carrier on my car. Also, my round corner lid fits the box perfectly. My wood battery case also slides right down into the metal box. I did use a bit thinner gage steel for my box because the local hardware stores didn't have the correct gage steel sheet. After the box was built, I went over all of the seams with a hammer and dolly to get them really flat so that they didn't stick out so much.

How tight are the seams in the corners? I ended up buying a small sheet metal brake from Harbor Freight to do the bending, I couldn't get good results just using hand tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:35 am:

I used the battery box cover I sold to Mark Strange on my '25, until I realized the information in Gail Roddas book was incorrect. I then replaced it with the correct square cornered one. They both fit the same battery box, the ones I had made. I still have one more round corner lid that I could measure if needed, and am willing to compare it to the square type.
Just for the record, I researched the battery box while at the research center, and as I recall, the current type was introduced in '22 or '23. Before that the bottom portion was slightly different, and apparently more difficult to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Larry,
What I have found is, the square cornered one I have measures 9 1/2 X 7 3/4 and the round is 9 3/8 X 7 5/8, according to Mark.
Mark, the bottom can be forced in, but the sides will bow in. The lid would not go on.
I'll take some pics later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Without going out to my car to check, as I recall, the lid doesn't go in anywhere! The two tabs on the wide part of the sides allow the lid to rest on the top of the battery box. Without an original Ford battery, either wood case or hard rubber, the lid will rock back and forth. It requires the handles on the battery for support, and when the two end clamps are used it makes a good fit. What I do, is I get a piece of one inch square tubing from Home Depot. I cut it diagonally across to give me a piece of angle iron. I cut those to 3 1/2". I then get a piece of 1/4" round stock and bend it to make the handles which I weld to the angle iron pieces. These will lay on the top of a modern battery, and give the ends of the lid the support it needs, providing the battery is level with the top of the battery box. If it isn't cut a piece of plywood to lay in the bottom of the battery box to bring it up level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

I just measured one mint used round top battery box cover used in 1924 on back. These are better made than the later ones, in that the corners are welded. The later square corners are not.
Late cover 9 9/16 across length
7 3/4 across width
Early cover 9 9/16 across length
7 3/4 across width
I have four NOS late covers and they are all the same. I only have one early style cover, mint used restored. None of these are for sale! These dimensions are taken with a measuring tape, outside to outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

FYI Donald, the measurements I took of my round corner lid were inside to inside, since that is what you requested. To my calibrated eyeball, the lid sheet metal is 1/32 inch or less thick. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Hi Folks. i dont have a battery box on my 26/27 roadster pickup as yet ,The outside battery carrier is there ,dose it have a battery box that fits inside the carrier.If so is this wooden or metal . Many Thanks Gerryde (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

Larry, you are right, I was miss led, thinking the lid needed to be flush with the carrier for the repro clamps to hold the cover.
I found, the in the Ford Service Bulletin dated August 1925 Fig.65,the detail of the carrier and cover show it slightly above the carrier.
I have a very original 1925 Touring, and when I dug out all the stuff in rear seat and looked at the hold down clamps, the were very similar to what is pictured there.
Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

Gerry: You will have to purchase or have a battery box made to fit in your carrier. The battery goes inside that. Trent Boggess posted some great photos of an original Ford wood battery case fitting into one of my reproduction battery boxes about a month or two ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/678168.html?1475382097

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration