Some favourite tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Some favourite tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 02:09 am:

This speedbrace is very handy. With Hayes wire wheels, the outer bearing cones are deep within the hub and a standard Ford wrench will not work.

This end of the wrench will do that job nicely.

This end fits the hubcap and the front bearing locknut.

These tyre levers are Dowidat at brand. Three are of German manufacture, one Australian. The sharp curve just rolls around a beaded edge rim and never gets near the tube.

Being 16" long, they will persuade even the most recalcitrant tyre to go on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:04 am:

One change I recently made for salt air in my area is buying WD oil by the gallon-----for 18.00

then a 1.00 spray bottle from the dollar store adjusts from a spray to a six foot stream or a drop or two easily without the funky little tube you can never find for a small can that costs much more and usually plugs up with the can half full.

Works well for starter fluid on two cycle engines as well.

For two months my first bottle has been used for everything from T issues to sticky drill chucks all most every day and its half full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 07:14 am:

I use this tyre levers[if needed]!!!
One is Michelin, and the other is home made.
2617M
2618S
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Anthonie,

I like that Michelin tool. I've never seen one quite like it.

Enjoying a T where you live must be fun. Who needs a Ruckstell or Warford when there are no hills? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Another tool made for lawn mowers and ATV use is very handy for T use from Harbor Freight for 79. on sale----it will pick up a front or rear end assembled jack it up to about 18 or more inches off the floor easily with 300 pound capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Where did spelling tire with a Y come from, just wondering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

In England we always spell tyre with a Y. Where did tire come from? ;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Allan, that Dowidat tool is $4.00 at northern Freight here now and made in India.

Tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Doug, tyre is the correct spelling! Tire is something you do when working. Methinks someone in the USA got tired of fitting tyres one day and became a little confused.
James, I have seen quite a few variations of Chinese junk copies of the Dowidat levers. Most are considerably thicker at that curved end, making them more difficult to work with. Many have simply snapped off. Your mileage may vary.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration