Really wanted to work on T today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Really wanted to work on T today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 06:50 am:

Finally received replacement axles .. and the gears installed, thanks to Bill Crosby here in Rochester. I really wanted to put together the rear axle this weekend. But we had a wind storm on Wednesday that knocked out thousands of power lines. We haven't had heat or lights since then and it's 14 degrees right now. They say we might have power again by Tuesday morning. Have a stack of 1920s Automobile Digests and getting my reading done by Coleman lamp in the evenings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 06:57 am:

Enjoy! We had the same storm system roll through here a couple days ago. Yeah, my yard is a mess too but until it warms up and I get to it, things are staying that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 07:24 am:

Ot really caring about the downed trees and debris. We have no heat. Staying warm with limited use of one of those worksite propane heaters when we're in the house. Going out during the day ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 07:41 am:

Mark, stay warm the best you can. I think I would be really concerned about frozen pipes. It is definitely cold out there, here in Albany this morning, 5 degrees right now. The winds were brutal last night.

We might be getting a decent sized snow storm Tuesday. Not looking forward to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:13 am:

It's wild on the New Brunswick/Maine border too; -7F and a strong wind right now. I also have one of those propane top hat heaters for an inexpensive and relatively safe backup...out here you have to keep fuel on hand too; most local stores close when the power goes out and their credit/debit machines and cash registers stop working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:38 am:

With the weirder weather and a strained infrastructure these days, makes me glad I put in an automatic standby generator.

Jack..just be careful with those heaters..they CAN kill you! They consume a tremendous amount of oxygen to run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 08:43 am:

I feel your pain Mark. I worked just outside of Rochester (West Henrietta) for 3 years.

This south Texas boy had never seen that kind of sheer volume of snow, even when I was stationed in North Dakota in the military.

I think what was worse than the snow (at least for me) was the way the sun came up so late in the winter and set so early. I'd go in to work at 7:30am when it was dark and leave work at 4:30pm when it was dark.

So...I didn't get to see the sun all during the work week. Then, if the weekend was overcast (which it often was) I could go a few weeks living in the dark. It started messing with my head after a while.

Fortunately, the area is gorgeous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Mark, be very carefull with that temp heat. We were lucky and didnt loose power. I have a gernerator for just that reason. The cold is bad enough but the wind makes it worse.
Makes you appreciat the little things. I hope you get power back with no frozen water lines.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Our house was built in 1919 and isn't very "tight."
So, I don't worry about using the propane heater and Coleman lamp inside as long as they are never left unattended and turned off before we retire. During the day we are driving around .. going to the mall or antique shops to window shop. Interestingly we had ordered a new microwave last week .. it arrived yesterday! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:14 am:

My house was built in 1899. I tell everyone there is no snow on the east side of the house because all the heat that blows out with a west wind keeps it melted off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration