1915 muffler question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1915 muffler question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 10:49 am:

I will be replacing the sheet metal shell of my 3 bolt 1915 muffler with cast iron ends. Before I reassemble the muffler, I thought I would clean up the cast iron ends. My question is, were the cast iron ends left as raw cast iron when new, or were they painted black, like the engine was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Ford alternated during this time painting the muffler and its asbestos wrapping, or not. If you paint it the paint quickly burns off. I guess that you could have it ceramic coated if you wanted it to be shiny black. I am used to seeing them with a coating of surface rust. Looks fine to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I painted the ends of the muffler on my 16 after grit blasting and cleaning. So far the paint is still on the ends. I used VHT high temp frame paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Does the muffler need regular cleaning? I wondered if it gets accumulated with dry exhaust stuff that could cause back pressure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Marty... No, it should never need to be taken apart to clean out carbon deposits. But it may need to be taken apart and cleaned out if mice build a nest in it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Todd, Thanks. That's going to save me some work!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration