Steering

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

About the time I think I got it figure out it throws me a curve. First I had a lot of free play in the wheel, bought all new 5-1 gears. I put them in way to tight. then I figured out I must have the wrong shaft. So I changed the shaft out put the new 5-1 gears in still to tight . I went back to thinner teeth gears old set , it steers easier now. Now with wheels straight ahead half turn to the right with the steering wheel . the front wheels are as far as they will go to the right. Half turn to the left, the wheels are all the way to the left. So do I have 4-1 or 5-1 now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Best to count the teeth.

Be sure if you have later steering case, with the groove, that the longer pinion pin is in that groove. And be sure you have the proper steering shaft for the 5:1 or the 4:1, the shaft will not interchange, nor the center pinion gear or the 3 satellite pinion gears, they are must be from the same ratio!

Steering shaft is indexed to the steering case, so that the groove is the upper part of the case, and longer pinion pin goes into the groove.
That means when the long pin is in the middle of the slot, with the case in the column, the key way for the pitman arm will be in alignment too, right on the opposite side of that long pinion pin. That will give you full radius turns, left and right before the long pin is stopped at the end of the groove in the case.

The gear case has to be round, any dents or out of round of the circular teeth can cause the satellite pinion gears to hang up.

Here is marked tooth spot where new 5:1 gears were meshed tight, used Time saver paste or valve paste to 'lap' in the gears.

Note the black marked tooth area.

Longer pinion pin for the slot

'25-'27 gear case (5:1 gears for the balloon tires) on Left, note longer slot.) '21-'25 on Right,( short slot, 4:1 gears)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Not all the little gears are marked, out of five sets only one set was marked with the number 5 on them. Dan said to count the teeth, that narrowed it down some more. Not all 12 tooth gears will fit my housing. I got a match, gears, pinion, shaft, and housing. now the housing has a short slot. Out of 5 columns with the square plate no long slot. I got one more column I can tear up maybe I will get lucky Wish me luck! Thanks for all you guy`s help

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration