What are the holes in my dash for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What are the holes in my dash for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Hey there folks... well the addiction has begun. I have had my '23 T for less than a week and I love spending time out in my shop with her.

So I have noticed some additional holes in the dash. I wanted to see what you all thought the purpose of what these holes are, or what they were used for.

Thanks again for this great group!!1923 Touring Dash Holes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

That's a head scratcher Jason, never seen that before. Maybe some of our accessory experts will weigh in on what it could have been.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:35 am:

Looks like target practice to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:48 am:

Someone has put this Lizzie out of her misery....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Jason,

Are there corresponding holes at the same angle going through the firewall?

The big hole looks like it could have been for a dash light but usually they were mounted with two small screws on either side which I don't see the holes for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Someone put an accessory in there which was later removed possibly for transfer to another car. Same reason my RPU has a rocky mountain brake pedal but no rockies installed. Looks like someone had a dash clock but I'm not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:43 am:

The big hole is probably for a dash light. There were basically two styles of dash light mounts. One style used two small screws and also a center hole for the wires. The other style used a big hole for the " threaded stem" of the dash light to go thru and held in place by a nut threaded onto the stem. I believe the hole just below the large hole is stock Ford. It is for the choke rod going thru the slotted hole to the bell crank on the firewall. The other two small holes are probably for some unknown accessory item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Sorry Guys...the picture is confusing and I didn't explain well enough.

I am looking at the 3 small holes. The 'big' hole, actually is not a hole, it is the choke knob.

Dan B, the holes do not go all the way through.

Thanks again!

T holes in dash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Locations seem to be within the driver's reach.

As with Donnie, big hole for a dash lamp.

Tiny hole upper near switch panel for a push/pull switch to the accessory spot light.

Other holes lower under the bigger hole likely for accessory carb control rod. As the '23 has its carb control way under the dash, it is a long reach for the driver. Many types of accessory rods made with u-joint or bell crank to the carb.

The other little hole likely for a pull wire to a vacuum horn, wolf whistle, or maybe an exhaust cut out whistle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Per Jason "The 'big' hole, actually is not a hole, it is the choke knob."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Jason, I can see the knob after you explained it. The other holes are a mystery to me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Holy Dashboard Batman!!
This car must have been owned by a priest--it's holy!

Actually, the top one looks legitimately drilled, the other two, Bonnie & Clyde time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

.......I think somebody stole the cup holder!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration