Are Original Scandinavia bands better?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Are Original Scandinavia bands better?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Are the original bands better than today's reproduction? What Are they made of ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:48 am:

About 50 years ago, Scandinavia was bought out by a company called Cantex. That's when the quality started going down hill. I've been buying old stock Scandinavia lining for years, and have enough to last me forever. Why the change, who knows, it just seems to be the everything is going these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Yes, the originals are better. The early "Cantex" (tan or lighter colored) are not too bad. The later "black" Cantex bands are sometimes refered to as "tar babies" They have a black "tar like" substance that melts and makes a black goo in your oil. I have also had good luck with the Wards bands. If any of the original band linings are too short. Just crank them thru a sheet metal slip roll with the rollers almost touching. It will stretch them back out and flatten them out nice and smooth. The rolling out, is basically "pre-seating" the linings. I believe the problem of some of the old original band linings being too short is from years of sitting on the shelf and the "weave" of the band material "shrinking" or "relaxing". After "rolling", I also dip the ends of each band lining in Kwik-Poly to seal the ends of the "weave" Just barely dip the ends about 1/8 of an inch, as the kwik-poly will "wick" into the band. 1/8 inch dip will give you about 3/8 of an inch of sealed threads or weave. The kwik-poly is not hard enough to hurt the drums even if it soaks too far and some of the hardened weave makes contact with the drums. Like Larry, I have enough original bands to last me the rest of my life. I bought them when they were 5.00 or less per set. I did the same thing with new day timers when they were cheap. At times I wondered why I needed to stock up on them. Now Im glad I did. have fun and be safe. Donnie Brown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Here is copy of original adv. on the Scandinavia linings.

The material is noted as southern cotton, fine weave, and the compound to prevent glazing isn't described other than not a tar, and its boiled into the fabric.

NOS originals are marked with logo

The original lining is a thick looking, pliable weave, brown in color.

The new Scandinavia is just junk! Here is comparison, Kevlar on left, Ford cotton in the middle, and the new repro Scandinavia lining on right. The new is dark almost black, and is stiff from tar-like additive, and is a much thinner lining also, not really like original at all.

I choose Kevlar, as it won't glaze, or char, or fray excessively, is correct thickness and lasts too. IMO> :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

To add to Larry & Donnie's comment - earlier Cantex linings are the identical weave to the original Scandinavia's and were the best option in my opinion - I also pursue genuine "Scandi" linings and have a considerable stash.

Sometime in the later years of the Cantex - prior to the "tar babies" someone at Cantex decided it was economically viable to shorten the lining length from the original length of 23 &1/2" (and correct, I might add) to 22 & 1/2" which I'm assuming to "stretch the roll" of material to gain an additional ? lining's per roll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

There are other old brands that are as good as the original Scandinavia. Montgomery Wards, Allstate, and original Ford bands plus a few others. They all have a close and tight weave like the Scandinavia brand does. The draw back is some of them aren't cut 24" and a little short. The Allstates are usually the correct lehgth.
They all have a close tight weave and just a little thicker.
Mark was another company which made some nice cotton bands also but quit making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Thanks ,I can't tell you how very helpful this forum is , and how much it's appreciated.Picture I spent 7 years re-restoring this 1912 ALF ladder truck for the Southampton FD.This was accomplished by attending the AACA fall Hershey meet every year, and the help of a few very knowledgeable people.All the knowledge shared here really is great!!! S.Craig Raynor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

I heard noise from the garage this afternoon and went out and on the shelf found this Scandinavian band but they wouldn't fit in the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

It would be useful to know the time-line of Scandinavia's changes. I bought and used at least three sets of Scandinavia linings in the pretty red and yellow box between 1962 and 1965 when Montgomery Wards was still selling them along with KW coils and the 30x3-1/2" Riverside tires.

None of these sets had a yellow imprint on the band material, nor did the weave look like the pictures Dan posted. It was probably treated with "something", maybe the original Scandinavia recipe, maybe something else. I never witnessed any "tar-baby" residues. I'm guessing the Scandinavia I bought back then was after the company was sold to Cantex, which jibes with what Larry reports.

I recently bought Scandinavia linings, they look like what I was using over 50 years ago. As per the Ford manual's directions, I soaked them in neatsfoot oil overnight before installing. We'll see.

For what it's worth, I've been sporadically checking fleabay for NOS band linings since last September . . . the only thing to come up is a lining with cork inserts. Being the curious type, I bought a set. They smell very musty, and the cork spots are definitely deteriorated, although the band weave material seems sound, and the weave looks fine, tight and dense like the old Scandinavia posted in Dan's pictures . . . replace the cork spots ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration