OT cam gear on model a

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT cam gear on model a
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:24 am:

I know that the wisdom of this forum reaches far past the realm of model T's. My model a engine has sounded kinda like a trashing machine at idle since I purchased it. I thought it may be the cam thrust pin or spring in the front cover and found.... the thrust pin and the spring were MIA and the nut holding the cam gear was very loose. It had worn the pin holes in the gear slotted to the point that the engine was a whole tooth retarded. The performance was not very good either. So here is the question; can the model a benefit like the model T by advancing the cam. I have done this on my model T's and they seem to perform well. Is there any performance tricks here? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

In all my years of Model As, I don't recall advancing the cam as a performance "trick." I do recall the idea of using a Model B cam, though. I actually have an A engine with a B cam in it, but I haven't run it. I bought that engine because the engine number is within 1,000 digits of Ma Green's original engine, which has a crack almost half-way through the block! (and I was running it!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini - Sacramento Calif on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Back in the day Winfield offered offset cam dowels for Model A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

There was a bunch of cam gears that hit the market market one tooth off.
I have one in a model A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Couture on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

My Model A ate several timing gears before I realized that the crank-cam dimension was off by .003. Dan McEachern made a custom size set of gears for me, which fit and run like a dream. Very reasonable price also.
Tweeking the cam timing seems like something that would be done to maximize the benefit of other improvements like high compression head, carburation, camshaft, exhaust, etc. I have seen a photo of an adjustable Model A cam gear made by Bill Stipe, so there must be some power improvement possible.
Dan McEachern and Bill Stipe are both very knowledgeable about cams, gears and A speed parts, it would be worth your time to contact one or both of them for advice. Google should be able to provide you with up to date contact information.
A_Timing_Gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:35 am:

Thanks Guys, It does sound like I could advance the cam and may be get a little boost. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:52 am:

Advancing the cam on a model T isn't really to boost performance, it's for getting more power in the mid rpm range where the engine runs when pulling up a hill in high. That's at the cost of reduced top effect at high rpms, so I'm not sure it's a good idea on most Model A's where you can downshift in a steep hill without having to go annoyingly slow as you would with a std Model T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration