Abbreviation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Abbreviation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

For us newbies, some of us don`t know what all that means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

What are you asking about? Abbreviation of what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

That is an abbreviated question :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Maybe things like OCF (Old Car Festival) put a list of the abbr. and someone will help you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

I'm NOT a "newbie" and I don't get all those abreviations either! I figured out "OCF" as "Old Car Festival" but I still don't know what "MM" is! Seems like since the advent of "texting", many people have ceased using whole words to communicate, but then, wife says I'm just a "grumpy ol' fart". (She's probably right!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

MM - Motor Muster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

I thought MM was candy! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

OT isn't always apparent to newcomers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Thanks Mark......and ya' know what? I AM getting to be a "grumpy ol' fart", but I can't help it! It seems to me that between "auto-correct" and "texting" and sometimes, no punctuation at all (due to the influence of "texting") it's becoming harder and harder to make sense of some posts on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

The candy would be M&M's. :-) Shorten words have been around for a very long time in communication, think of the telegraph, key strokes cost money or look in the Ford parts books.

(Message edited by redmodelt on March 12, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

I retired in 2011 after 35 years as an engineer in the defense industry, so I became conditioned to abbreviations and acronyms. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Using acronyms can be problematic. For example:

In spring of 2000 I started a new job in Davis, CA. I observed that the local transit system is called, "Davis Area Rapid Transit". The acronym DART is everywhere.

So, what do they call it in Fresno? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Yeah Henry,but what amazes me is the number of acronyms that I learned in the navy that have Migrated to civilian life but the people don't know what they mean Snafu /Fubar...etc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

"Sighted sub, sank same."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

MM = Mammary Madness

Synonym: My two best friends. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Wasn't it Bob hope who sang "Thanks for the Mammaries"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

I am thankful EVERY DAY ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

SOS and WTFO come to mind. Although not usually acronyms, flaghoist communications typically use 4 flags, each representing a letter of the alphabet or a number. They're coded and you need the key to understand them. Some are contractions, like "WILLCO", meaning "will comply".

I spent most of my working life in California public school construction. If you're interested in how ridiculous an alphabet soup can be, poke around on the OPSC website "Office of Public School Construction"). It's truly amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

I like the latest ''OWM''....hillery and the media sure don't! I like the spelling too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Ocf Got answered thank you, another one is bump? A lot of these terms we don't under stand and to afraid to ask, I was hoping after 2 or 3 years I would figure some of these out. I know I`m slow, I bet I`m not the only one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Ask away. Thats how I learn. If there is no answer one will be rapidly made up.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

The word "Bump" is used to bring a topic or subject back up to the top of the forum. Sometimes it's "BTT" = Bump to top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Rick, if someone posts a message on the forum and no one responds, it slides slowly down the page until people aren't likely to see it when they log on. If someone adds to the message thread, then the thread moves back up to the top of the page. People post "Bump" to bump the message in question back to the top because someone thinks it should be read by more people who may have missed it the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Dennis beat me to it.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I had to laugh at myself after reading a tech article that mentioned AI the other day...of course they were referring to Artificial Intelligence, but what came first to my mind was the guy that comes in the pickup truck to breed the cows! That was high tech once, too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Once you reach an advanced stage of maturity everything reminds you of something else, and Mark's comment that "key strokes cost money" reminds me of a story. To save money, it was common practice to leave unnecessary words out of telegraph messages. Once a studio publicity department wanted to know Cary Grant's age. He was vacationing in Mexico, and they sent him a telegram asking, "How old Cary Grant?" His telegram back to them read, "Old Cary Grant fine. How you?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

BART refers to the "Bay Area Rapid Transit". I always called it the "Frisco Area Rapid Transit". It was fun to watch the puzzled look on people's faces turn to a laugh.

The only one above I am not familiar with is Gary H's "OWM"? Do I want to know?

I grew up in cutting edge communications technology. I don't care how many "personal computers" transmit "political correctness"? "PC" will always mean "printed circuit". The problem with so much of this is that it changes from week to week, and focus interests.
DC,aE, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Jack and Burger think the same things as I do.

Jack probably knows that Curtis Candy has nothing to do with sugar...

Growing up on a dairy farm we view things a bit different

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Among the other things that I do to pay the bills is recreate old radio shows in front of a live audience, like they used to do.

I wanted to name that company, "The Fine Arts Radio Theatre".

"F.A.R.T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Thanks guys it helps to know what people are talking about, it helped me I know others will appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

So Marty
Does that mean you smell money when you hear F.A.R.T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Dallas, I smell money when my backers F.A.R.T!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

So, Marty, if you smell money, can deaf folks enjoy F.A.R.T too ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

OWM= OLD WHITE MEN...the lefts latest term for the folks that voted for the other old white man...(not that anything is wrong with that). LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

If you are in the Navy and need to find out what an abbreviation is, you look it up in the DICNAB. Dictionary of Naval Abbreviations. Now to go dump some MMO in the car.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Abbreviations are good for texting or emails I guess. Sometimes I have to look them up, like PITA is pain in the a--, hmu is hit me up, saw that on Facebook and looked it up. Talking though gets on my nerves like eating at KFC or watching SNL. Unless it hurts to talk just say it. But that's just me IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

Cory,....no, not "just you"! Bugs me too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

I got an email from a cousin who had been in the Navy, so I guess he was used to acronyms.
He sent an email to me that was followed by WTF.
My wife was reading it over my shoulder and said " That doesn't make ant sense. Why would he put Wednesday, Thursday, Friday behind that?"
My son had to explain it to her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Dallas Area Rapid Transit.....DART

Sister City Fortworth had a problem...F..T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

When I read the words on this forum that I find scrawled on mens's restroom walls it lowers the respect that I have for that poster. The same goes for the mens room abbreviations. I am still trying to figure out what some of them mean. I finally figured out WTF. I think we should learn to communicate without abbreviations and unsavory language. My grandfather once told me that using foul language was the only thing that he ever did that gained him absolutely nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Actually, guys, there's a very active brass-era touring group called the F.A.R.T.S. Their cars have a big plaque that says so. In smaller print, it says Friends of Ancient Road Transportation. I'm not a member; it's by invitation only, and I haven't been invited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:15 am:

Gilbert, That's too bad you haven't been invited, sounds like that group's a Gas!
:-)
This thread finally explained to me what "Roger Willco, out" came from (Oh great, a new one, I suppose, "RWO".)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 07:12 am:

What intrigues me is what the users of these ridiculous abbreviations are going to do with the vast amounts of time they save by not writing things in full. I'm sure if they added up these savings, they could probably rebuild a whole model T!!!!! or at least a coil or two, over a lifetime.

Al from D U.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:27 am:

The things one learns on this Forum is awesome indeed.

Those F.A.R.T. people have some good looking machinery...

https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/grm/friends-of-ancient-road-transportation- brass-era-content/117612/page1/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Rick : there are no "Dumb questions" especially if you were an Ordie like me. I was once asked why I always critiqued (or reviewed) all of my test with students, wasn't I afraid that all of the answers would leak out to the next class? I answered this way."You work on bombs, missiles, rockets, 20mm 6 shooters and other things that go bang in the night,If I give you a pop quiz with ten questions and you get 9 right you passed. The one that you got wrong is probably the one you are absolutely sure that you got right! That may Kill you, me & a whole bunch of friends" I want everyone to know all of the correct answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:16 am:

As I understand it, the acronym "F.O.R.D" has two meanings: "Fix Or Repair Daily", and "Found On the Road Dead".

Take your pick.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Trent you forgot First On Race Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:30 am:

GR,

Thanks for that one. I will add it to the list.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I have known a few people like Lenney describes. Never speak a
"foul" word, but have a supreme command of the English language
that allows them to say things every bit as demonstratively as if they
were a USMC drill instructor.

Most "clean speaking" types do not have the mastery of vocabulary
and just come off as wimps. As someone who likes really great story
telling and tries to emulate great story tellers, I prefer "character" and
the CHARACTERS of these stories to be interesting. Milquetoast
people with boring language stand out like toilet paper in a snowbank.
Not good story making material. Some of my favorite experiences
and stories involve the saltiest characters a person could imagine.

Anyone here know Taco Mike ? :-)

The USMC was a gold mine of verbal imagery and experience. I
laugh my ass off any time I get back around a Marine and the stories
start to fly. Who else considers the word "maggot" a term of
endearment and honor ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

F.O.R.D.= For Old Retired Drivers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Mark Twain said: When angry, count to ten. When very angry, swear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Burger,
Ah yes; out on the American Inland waterways, folks like me are known as FRNs by the boat crews. Now, one can debate the actual words these letters stand for, we FRNs prefer to think they stand for "Friendly River Nuts." Now the boat crews tend to have a different first word, and the moniker was intended to be insulting; BUT we who are called FRNs consider it an honor, and now call each other by that moniker.
Isn't that how most "nicknames" go?
We made up our own "group" T shirts too: "Soot Happens" which is something you'd have to be on a steamboat to understand. Let's just say that you don't sit down in a deck chair in the morning without wiping it off first, and only crew officers wear white--what an impractical color to wear out on deck on a steamboat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

There was an acquaintance who had a dislike for certain people - always spoke "cleanly" of them - called them - sometimes to their face - "a true love child". Most times the recipient did not understand the meaning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

LOL! (Requisite modern abbreviation acronym!)
David D, Some years back, at some tourist mecca, I noticed a fellow tourist wearing a T-shirt that said "Soot Happens", and I figured it had some special meaning. Now I know what it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

For a short time in grade school I had the nick name of maggot, the first letter in my name are M, A, G. I was never bothered by it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

FORD: Flippin Old Rebuilt Dodge. Insert the appropriate F word where it belongs if you wish. Someone had to type it and we used it when I was young. Sorry Lenney.
Very interesting thread.
Soot Happens... I like! :-) And that's exactly why I stay inside the building with the steam engines... "It's very clean." (From another thread and from the Shrek movie when they get close to that town of John Lithgow's... Who says I don't admit to having an internal dialog?) ;-) wink wink (say no more)...(what's it like?). Two of you will get that one if you put an English (British) accent on it.
Thread Drifting right back out to the T shed now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

Duey, I say, old chap, this isn't proper conversation for high tea, rather!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:05 am:

No sah, 'tis not. Awful many Tinney waads here sah. Mmm?

(Message edited by Duey_C on March 14, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:51 am:

The danish word for SPEED is FART....
That gives english speaking people som LOL's when for example the press the button on an old Thrige built (Danish) elevator:

("I FART" means "In movement")
Here is another more advanced since it also tells you whether it is on it way to you ("Hertil")

Finally when you drive in urban areas, the authorities may have set up a sign that shows you speed "Din fart":

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:14 am:

How about, F'd Over Real Dandy. My elderly neighbor used to say it all the time. Wish he was still around, great mechanic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Michael, your post about Danish brought back a memory. In 1975, the Austin Ten Drivers Club in England organized a "Continental Tour." The English Austin people crossed to Belgium, where a handful of Dutch Austin families met them, and we did a two-week camping trip. There was some amusement when the English folks encountered the Dutch for "you can" on a menu. The phrase, "You can order coffee or tea" in Dutch is "U kunt koffie of thee bestellen."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

There are times I hertil I fart.

What a relief !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

My ex-wife was a jealous paranoid type and the German word for 6 sounds like sex. Every time the phone would ring she would jump in my lap to hear so when my grandma called I'd talk to her in German and it drove her nuts. Especially if I said something like "I talked to aunt Brenda yesterday around six" of course the fight was on then but it served her right for being so nosy. My grandma speaks English just fine. lol I don't miss that bs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

And why she would think I would be talking about sex with my grandma is a mystery to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

because females are mysterious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Dennis, thanks for the definition of BUMP. I didn't know what it meant either.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration