Question on build dates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question on build dates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

I heard that Mr McNalleys book covered build dates. The numbers on my 19 touring are 294941 which makes it built in March 1919. Question, Did Mr McNalleys book say what day and shift it was done? My 19 has a 98th birthday coming sometime this month and I was hoping to give her a party if I can come up with which day she came to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Hmm - According to Bruce McAlley's book, engine 294941 was one of 925 engines built on June 18, 1913.

Are you sure that your car's birthday hasn't already passed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

I'm not familiar with a McNally book. Are we referring to Bruce McCalley's encyclopedia, which lists engine serial numbers by date? If so, and if 294941 is an engine number and not something else, Mark's date is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Hmm,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

2949411?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I should have mentioned that the serial number probably gives you the actual date of engine assembly in Detroit, but at one of the many branch plants assembly could have been later. And putting the engine in a chassis and making the rest of the car may have been a day or two after the engine was assembled, wherever it was done. If the engine was made in Detroit on the date indicated by the serial number, I suppose you can sort of guess the shift from the position of the number in that day's production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

This is where I got my dates from>
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Well, very interesting!

I see an extra 4 at the extreme right side which is off line from the other numbers. Is there a casting date on the block, and if so, what is it?

FYI, engine 2949414 was one of 2555 engines assembled on March 10, 1919.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

OK, that's different. 2949414 gives you a date of Monday, March 10, 1919. That's the 132nd engine made that day, so first shift is a pretty good guess. Again, that's if it was made in Detroit. I don't think there's any way of identifying which plant assembled any particular car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Thanks Mark, Seems I missed her birthday. I will give her an extra lap along the beach later today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Still interested in the block casting date if you can find it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Where would I look?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

These are the only other markings I can find on the block>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Do I see 2 12 20 in the second pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

How to read casting date clock on the later blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

A 1919 serial number on a 1920 block indicates a replacement block stamped with the original engine's number. Replacement engines had serial numbers, but bare blocks were sold unstamped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Or a number could've been ground off and re-stamped. I suspect that happens a lot.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration