Rear Forged Fender Iron Differences - Have 2 Different Styles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Forged Fender Iron Differences - Have 2 Different Styles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

I found this different set of forged rear fender irons in a box today. The lower one is the one in question, and is marked T5405. Anyone know what they go to? The upper one is what I thought was the standard touring rear fender iron.

(Message edited by benji on March 12, 2017)

(Message edited by benji on March 12, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

The lower one is earlier version of the upper one.I can trade you a match for either one if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Thanks Jack, I have both pairs. Just used one of each for the pics.

So the lower one would be the correct for a 13 touring then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

jack ! i have building bodies for 35 years now and have never seen the bottom one before????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Charlie,they were made in cast iron and then in later production a stamped steel one. Can't believe you've never seen them. Granted someone has taken liberties with bending on the one shown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Here are the other pics of the lower fender iron I was questioning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 07:19 am:

well here is what i see! these were on a wood seat frame. maybe 11 or 12.then bent to use crown fenders 17 up?? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

No, its a factory forging as you see it. The lower one has a different style to the top of the end with the three mounting holes. The part numbers are in different spaces on the lower and upper. Also the lower is longer than the upper one.

Here is a link I just found with someone asking about the same.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/719857.html?1486604522

Now Im curious as to what years the lower was used. It must be 13 on from the parts books (I have 13-17), but to when?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

i looked in the parts books and could not find that part#. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 04:08 am:

Charley - the number forged into the part is a factory number, not the part number. I looked at 1913 and 1914 part books without finding it, but found it in the 1917 parts book. Factory number 5405 is part number 4804D, Rear fender iron left and right for 1913-17 Touring car.
Maybe they revised the part to the D suffix style for the curved rear fenders, but still used it for spares on older cars. It's there in all the parts lists until 1928, but by then the description says it fits 1913-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

well maybe so but i have re-wooded about 300 bodies and have never seen one. i have pulled the remains of 300 more out of Kansas ditches. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration