Chevy dad's son could become a Ford guy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Chevy dad's son could become a Ford guy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

At the Marietta swap meet, if a child come to our booth and was looking around, I would ask if he had any wrenches. If not, he got the opportunity to select a Ford plug wrench for free to take home. Some of the dads did not know what to say but one particular made me laugh.
One young man after receiving his Ford wrench asked his dad if he had any Chevy wrenches. The answer was no of course. I told the young lad that now he has his first wrench and was on his way to getting a model T. The dad kind of looked unimpressed but said thanks. He said to the boy to tell the nice man thank you which the young man did.
Made my day by being able to give the 10 or so kids Ford wrenches and maybe convert a couple of Chevy dads too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Like! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:26 am:

I have always leaned towards chevys. My first car was a 46 chevy pickup. But now I find myself owning 3 fords. My model T, model A and my motor home and I am very happy with them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Owned a chevy step side from the 70s loved that rig
Kind of wish I still had it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 07:36 am:

My wife was in a local store with the two grandsons. One is 5 (the boy) the other is 3. There was a big tub of matchbox cars, and asked if they could buy one. Of course Grammy said yes. As they were going through them, the 3 year old was picking out cars and the 5 year old said no you can't have that one, it's not a Ford. Also, a few months ago, the 5 year old told the 3 year old that if he said chevy, that he was going to wash his mouth out with soap. This is really all true!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:46 am:

I don't understand how this all gets started and at such an early age too?!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:24 am:

I'm sure Burger will chime in with how we are destroying the plastic world of our youth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:21 am:

hamBurger wouldn't do that! He likes plastic! I bet he uses Parkay margarine on his toast every morning because it is only 1 molecule from plastic! :-)

Please understand I am joking! :-)
I like hamBurgers insight in things alot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:12 am:

???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I always felt sorry for him, losing all those cases against Perry Mason. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Tom,

We brought my two youngest nephews, 8 and 6 years old, along for the Marietta swap meet. My brother, their dad, has our grandparents' farm and still works it with the 50+ year old equipment it came with. He also collects and restores antique tractors. They grew up around that stuff and are fascinated by the old stuff. I knew they'd enjoy going to the meet and looking at the old parts but had no idea they'd like it as much as they did. You giving them those wrenches absolutely was the highlight of their day. They show them to everyone that comes to the house for a visit and have them prominently displayed in their bedroom. I'm sure they thanked you, but I want to thank you as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:50 am:

A long time ago, a friend and I used to hit the junkyards every Saturday looking for parts for our cars. One Saturday we brought along his young nephew. He didn't know quite what to do there until we gave him some tools and suggested he pull off some of the emblems off the cars, take them home, and make a display board for them. He was so proud of that display board and all the emblems!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Willis, It's pretty easy. We've watched the boy since he was a baby. His first old car ride was at one month old and he rode in my 36 Roadster. Ever since he was born, and while we watched him, my wife was always in the garage with him. He has worked on a number of old Fords and Mercurys with me. He has been on National and regional tours with us, and can hardly wait for the next one. At 5 years old he recognizes all different car brands, and of course he knows we are an all Ford family! What looks to be his future step dad is supposedly all chevy, even though he drives a jeep. He tries to tell him Fords are junk, of course the boy won't hear none of that, so the future step dad has finally given up trying to brain wash him. He is truly an all Ford boy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

James
The intent of giving out the wrenches was to generate some interest for young folks. Sounds as if it worked. We try to do as much as we can to get the kids involved and excited. Who knows when we are done giving them rides in their early years, they maybe giving us rides in our older years.
Sure hope so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Dan,

I understand people liking a specific make even to the point of, that's all that they will buy. I see nothing wrong with that. I just don't understand people putting down other makes. Such as the washing out of another's mouth with soap. Sounds like some adults are not doing the old car hobby any good when teaching youngsters these bad habits. All of these old cars no matter the manufacturer are a part of history. Some with incredible stories to tell if given the chance! I love all old cars regards of who made it. If my wife & I are ever blessed enough to become grandparents, I want to pass that thinking on to the little ones.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Tom, Interesting thread and a great idea. Nice of you to do that for the kids.

Willis, I guess I take offense to your post. If you have read any of my many post regarding my grandson, you would understand how he is raised in the Model T Hobby. He heard the soap in your mouth from the movie "The Christmas Story" and my wife overheard him saying it to his younger brother, and she set him straight on that (but it was funny). He was on his first National Model T Tour when he was a year old and loves Ford's.

As far as you not understanding people putting down other makes, I'm sorry, but, I'm sure it started way back when cars were first being produced. It continues today and will continue in the future. It may be a natural human condition because it is the same way with religion, sports and politics, etc.

As far as not doing the old car hobby any good, I could debate that with some of the things I have done to advance the hobby. I've had my cars at schools. Anytime we're out driving around, and someone wants to sit in the T or go for a ride, I do that. We volunteer giving Model T rides at local museums. With the number of cars I have, I get a lot of people, and families in the area that want to come look at them, no matter how busy I am, I stop and give them a tour, which usually ends up taking over an hour and many cases giving rides. We host regional tours for Model T's and V-8's. Last year we hosted the 60th annual MTFCI Summer Tour.

I have restored many cars myself and with the collection I have, I am preserving history, and am able to tell the stories that go along with them.

So I think I am doing more than my share of promoting the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 05:50 am:

Dan,

I'm sorry, my post was not directed at you. My reference to not doing the old car hobby any good is the future step dad telling the young boy that Ford's are junk. Or, for that matter, any adult telling a child a certain other brand is junk. Yes, I know people do that with religion & politics. I don't understand that either. To each their own and it should be left that way.
Again, sorry to have offended you. That was not my intention!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 07:25 am:

Get a life, man. Most of the Chevy vs Ford stuff is good natured ribbing. Teaching "Diversity" in car ownership? Gimme a break!

And even if one were to think another brand is junk, probably based on a bad experience, what's wrong with teaching your kids that you buy what serves you well and don't buy what didn't? My kids were raised in a Ford environment with the exception of two GM's, both of which were indeed pieces of crap. I say they learned well. The oldest drives a Ford and well remembers the day we barely made it off of I-75 in downtown Atlanta when the transmission came apart in a brand new Lumina and it would only engage in 1st gear. Not a good situation in 80 mph traffic. The next exit couldn't get there soon enough when people are bearing down on you like that.

The younger one drives 3 different Fords and well remembers the Grand Prix that at less than 4 years old was plagued with electrical problems like windows that wouldn't roll down or up except when they took a notion, headlights that wouldn't come on sometimes, A/C that wouldn't come on until the engine warmed up, keys that wouldn't come out of the ignition because it didn't think the car was in PARK.

So yeah, I raised my kids to be Ford owners and I'm not making any apologies for it either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 07:27 am:

Willis, Apology accepted. Not a problem.
Sounds like the boy has made in-roads with his future step dad. As the step dad says he'd like to get a Ford Raptor Pickup, and that's a complete turnaround from a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Yes, Hal, diversity in old cars. This is an old car forum and that is what I am talking about. Diversity at the OCF is what made it stand above all others!
I am not on this forum to talk about why won't buy a new Ford if my life depended on it.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:08 am:

No, this is a Model T Forum. Says so right at the top of the page. You want to teach your kids diversity in old cars, by all means go ahead. I won't judge you for it, but I would also expect the same withholding of judgement from you, not your condemnation for raising my kids to be Ford owners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

If it's post-war give me the Chevy. If it's pre-war, I prefer the Ford. There's Chevelles in my shop next to the Ts, and the daily-drivers are always GM (wife likes Pontiac) I have Chevy shirts and Ford shirts hanging in my closet... just have to be careful where I wear them. :-)

Even Mopar made some cars that weren't ugly for a very brief 4 year period in the late 60s and early 70s. One day I'd like to have one of those too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I sincerely apologize for posting a simple post on giving away a Ford wrench and the thread winds up being a lessen in diversity training.
I will make sure I limit my posts in the future to only technical questions about The Model T Ford, assuming I ever post again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:05 am:

I see nothing wrong with any post, in fact I think its great. If all we have here are "safe spaces" then what a boring place this would be.

My wife is an Isuzu person, and I don't blame her. When at there house 1 in maybe 50 cars was a ford, 1 in maybe 1000 GM, and I did not see a single mopar. Of couse this was in Thailand and they have the factory for Isuzu there so it's their "domestic" car. Now the Isuzu we bought there is a sweet little ride, it is RHD manual 5 speed which does make driving in Bangkok interestering to say the least. As far as features go, minimial safety equipment and almost no emissions (you can see the engine if you lift the hood) electric equipment is basic but just what you need. 4 doors and a small bed put it in about a comparable size to a new nissan (small one) 4 door. For power the engine is a nice little 4 cylinder Diesel if you can believe it.

Since she has been here we have owned and driven a fair number of used cars, a fair number Fords. Looking at many other makes and models by her own choosing she has zeroed in on "Lincoln" which says alot considering growing up she had never heard of Lincoln and everything for comfort/luxury was either BMW or Mercedes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration