The Old boy was Red at one time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Old boy was Red at one time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 06:27 am:

While sanding the 26 Roadsters down and getting ready for paint I found that at one time it was red. I assume that is not the original color which means it has been painted a few times in its life.

my picture

my picture

my picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:15 am:

To me that looks more maroon than red. Could it be maroon? Ford used maroon in 26-27 I believe.

There have been questions from time to time of how bright the maroon colors were. There was at least 2 shades but not for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:34 am:

I was also thinking "Windsor Maroon" but it also appears to have black under the maroon/red paint . ??? hard to say looking at a photo. From the shape of the paint outline it also appears to have the early 26 style windshield stanchions. Colors were not available on early 26 open cars. They were "black only" for the first few months of 26. Gerald, a photo of the inside of the doors showing the holes and hinge area, as well as, does the body have aluminum step plates or steel. Also, does the firewall have four small rivets holding the gas tank anti squeak webbing. Those things will verify if it is early 26 or a later body. From the pics, it looks like a very nice solid body ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Some careful feather edge sanding to reveal the order in which each layer was applied seems to be in order. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

The first T sold in Pasadena, California was a red roadster. My great uncle saw it on his way to work and fell in love with it. He tried to buy it but the dealer was not willing since it was his only one. A deal was finally made when Ellis agreed to park the car in the dealership show room in the morning while he was at work and drive it home each night. Now, was the car red from the factory or did that dealer paint it for visual effect? His nephew, my uncle, painted his 1926 roadster red in memory of this car and it is one beautiful looking roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

I think it is a late 26 the engine and frame numbers match and are 13813559. I will try and feather the paint to find out but it will be a few days before I can get back to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 06:30 am:

Donnie, not wanting to be picky but,

You asked if the sill plates were aluminium or steel. The sill plates on our Canadian cars were Zinc. Were US sill plates aluminium, or have you used this description because they look like aluminium?

I ask this because there is no way we can make repairs to zinc plates, but aluminium ones may be weldable.Once our zinc plates are worn through, either by foot traffic or ill fitting doors, there is no coming back.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Allan, The original US sill plates are zinc. I just used the word aluminum, as that is the common way they are usually spoken of. And I believe the repro plates sold by the vendors are made of aluminum. Gerald, the engine number makes it a June 7 1926 car. That is a late 26, so there is a possibility that an open car could have been in color. There are no real "dates of change" that I know of that say when the change to using color on open cars happened. But that late in 26 it could have been possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Gotcha Donnie, I was particularly interested, as the sill plates used on our Australian built improved Fords for 1926-7 are different and the repros the vendors sell now do not fit. So we are stuck with worn old ones.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:10 am:

Mine had more than one color. We pulled back the upholstery on the seat backs and doors to confirm the original color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

OK if this was red or if I wanted it red would the interior of the car have been painted red also? Like the seat frame and firewall? I pulled back the side panel by the seat and there is red and black in there so I am not sure. The fire wall is black under the dash but I have not sanded any thing on the inside just removed the fuel tank.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Seems like I've seen a grey bodied 27 Roadster with black fenders and a black interior. Don't know if it was factory like that or not but its looks good to me. Maybe the other colored Fords were that way too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Donnie, any chance you have photos of the 'features' you mentioned on 3/13 at 10:24? (Hinge area and rivets)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration