Pictures from the Gilmore Museum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pictures from the Gilmore Museum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

May be the rebirth place of the OCF someday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Its obvious to me that the 1927 Model T Fordor dressed in commercial green is by far the most prestige's car on the grounds.. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Looks like there's an 1886 Benz gassing up at the Shell station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Don, Of course, you are correct! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Don, thanks for taking the time to present these pictures! I'll take the 1903 Model A. They were really tan seats back then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

I love the Hearse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

The guy that restored the Fordor was so upset about the owner hauling it to the Gilmore show on a U-Haul, that he bought him an enclosed trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Gilmore is a super place to visit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Fantastic pictures!

They motivated me to do a google map look and I can imagine what a bunch of antique cars would look like on their 90 acres.

There is plenty of room for parking in the nearby fields and there are a few towns nearby that should have lodging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Great pictures!
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

I'm ready... Old Car Festival/ Gilmore!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

GRC, I couldn't read the signs, but that hearse is a Winton, probably between 1915 and 1918.

Thank you Don B for these photos. I don't know much about the surrounding area (have never been there). But it looks like a good place for a huge meet. Hotels, trailer parking, and short-term camping would be necessary. However, the grounds look really good for a large display area!
How many different museums are there? As I understand it, there are several different collections in different buildings? Some of them are club connected?
Thanks again!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

There was a Pierce Arrow trailer just like the blue one in these pictures in a backyard in the "bad" part of Oroville when we first moved here in 1980. I recognized what it was, but had no way of saving it. I suspect it was scrapped.
Back in the 1970s there was a pre-war fifth wheel trailer in the junkyard north of Weed, and again, I wasn't in a position to save it then either.
Gilmore looks like a really neat place--what a collection!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Wayne, I have only been there once and not up on the surrounding but its wide open and they did allow overnite stays. They began a tour last year which was a first for the Gilmore. I would guess that hotels aren't much of a drive from it. As far as the buildings the exact number I have no idea. They are divided up with the brand name of the cars and era. It is bigger than one would expect. There are two story buildings packed and I believe it is all one collection. The thing is, last year they put on a 3 day event which was a first. They offered guess' rides and also had a 150 (?) mile tour thru the small towns and lakes. So the Gilmore was exploring ways of making a big old car event there. Oh yes, they also have a collection of antique motorcycles, small kid pedal cars and more. Its a very nice experience and the food was good too !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Awesome pictures !

Thanks for taking them and spending time posting them Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Dam spell check!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Perfect for the OCF replacement! Let's plan for it. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/event/donald-gilmore-pre-1942-showcase/?instance _id=240

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

You have to remember it is out in the country. All 2 lane roads. You are driving down the and there it is. Wonder if they have the necessary sanitation facilities for an OCF?

Absolutely it is a first class institution. Been there twice already. Better put it on your bucket list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

If they are not careful they will get overrun with participants.

I can imagine a group of people meeting 25 miles away and driving there together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Best museum ever! Been there 3 times. Put this one on your bucket list. You will love it! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

I have been involved with Gilmore my entire life. I have volunteered there some and support their events. They are first rate and they are a car museum which I guess the THF and Greenfield village doesn't want to be one anymore. I'll be there in May. The 19th ofMay is the Don Gilmore tour and was one of the highlights of my Summer as my daughter Jordyn took the day off and toured with me. She too is looking forward to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

I have traveled from California to attend a few of the Classic Car Club of America events at Gilmore and an AACA Grand Classic some years back. First rate venue. The staff there could not be better. In my opinion, it is a much better museum and grounds than the Henry Ford. It is a real car guy's car museum, not an inner city amusement park which is what the Henry Ford seems to have turned into. Also, the driving roads around Gilmore are great for prewar cars. I think I will make a trip to Gilmore in May.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Sign me up for OCF Gilmore. Sounds like a great place for it.
I can bring my 1897 Crescent bike in the back of the RPU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Our studebaker club had a gathering there one time many years ago....super place & the staff was great. Really family friendly. The "giant" mock up of the rolls royce interior (from a Disney movie) was really cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Those are beautiful cars! Many of which I don't even know what they are! Others I can remember seeing them driven around when I was a boy. Beautiful
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Just noticed on the flyer for the Gilmore event that the entry fee is 10.00 for the first car and passengers. Additional cars with passengers are free. The tour on Friday is free and there will be a 20-30 mile tour as well as an 80-100 mile tour.

Also noticed there will be a swap meet.

Sounds like a heckuva deal to me.

I know they have free overnight camping at the CCCA event they host, so I would imagine they will allow it for this event as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

The Franklin club host's the Air Cooled Gathering on fathers day weekend every year, first class operation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

How about the weekend after labor day?? That way we wouldn't be boycotting.... We would be pursuing other interest......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 05:49 am:

My thoughts are the Gilmore Museum is ripe for the pick'n. If the local MTFCA, HCCA club chapters got together and contacted the Gilmore Museum they may be able to come up with a 3 or 4 day event that could compare or exceed that of the THF OCF. Its just a matter of coordination and communication. The surrounding area is perfect to actually allow our old and slow autos to chug around without being a nuisance. I would like to see the chapters at least consider a joint adventure with the goal of keeping the "Old Car Festival" alive and well...if not better~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:10 am:

The Gilmore is ideal in every respect for this type of event. If you need someone who is close by to help organize the on-the-ground effort, I'd be happy to help.

Zach Dillinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Thanks for posting the pics. Our car club is headed up there in a bus April 1st. Work schedule interferes for me but I'd like to go sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

According to Auntie Google, there's lots of accommodation 14 miles away in Kalamazoo. That might enhance the attraction of a tour based at the Gilmore. Kalamazoo has a zoo (really!), quite a good air museum, and lots of food choices. The HCCA and Snappers have based tours in K'zoo; it's not a bad town for driving old cars in and out. It's even more benign if trailers and motor homes are parked at the Gilmore, and the only need to commute is for drivers of tow vehicles that aren't motor homes. The Gilmore grounds would be fine for a gaslight parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 04:43 am:

Zachary, is there any way you could contact them and see what their thoughts are on adopting the OCF crowd? The number of participants would be a question but if they promote it as such it could be significant...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Don, that was a delight! Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

They just bought a tt truck from me last week for taking people around their museum, Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration