Cam seal replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cam seal replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

I am going to replace my modern manufacture New Day (S) timer with a TW Accurate Timer. Even with the timing set correctly and all new wires and plugs I still get some slight poping when at an idle and the engine wants to run a little rough. It in the past it ran very well but has slowly been acquiring this poping issue,so I am thinking something has changed and suspect the timer.If the front cam seal is still the old style I will replace it with a modern neoprene style. So, having never replaced or installed a cam seal what is involved in removing the old seal? What is the best way to get it out? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Steve:

In regards to the "popping"..... check your coil points, may have to slightly open the gap using= the set nuts......or richen your gas mixture a bit.

Coil points set too close will not open properly and cause "popping" in the exhaust as well as a lean mixture.

If you have access to a coil tester with someone who is knowledgeable in using one, please take advantage. My suggestion was only for a quick fix.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Grigg on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

I just ordered a new neoprene cam seal and am interested in this myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Steve
Is there oil leaking into the timer??
If not, then just leave the seal alone!!
If yes, then probably as follows;
1. Consider removing the radiator to gain good access
2. Consider acquiring or borrowing a centering tool to check to ensure that the front cover is properly centred about the camshaft
3. Inspect the finish surface of the cam gear retention nut where the seal is going to be installed over. If it is rough or scarred then that needs to be addressed first, otherwise you will just be wasting your time and money.
4. Ensure the seal fits snugly into the space in the front cover. There is a LOT of variation and you may need to install it with some RTV sealant. Oh, and the lip should be towards the cover !!
I think I've covered everything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Just did a non generator 14 cover, it has to be bored for a seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

The TW timer WON'T work with the old style seal. You have to put in the modern neoprene. Not enough room otherwise. As Les said, you'll want to use some RTV black sealant behind it, they tend to revolve with the camshaft. Learnt that from a friend! About the only downfall to the TW is it does NOT like oil! Trust me, I know, but I still like 'em.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration