Gas tank for 1927 Model T Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas tank for 1927 Model T Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Yikes, my new ride has a hole in the gas tank. It's a rusty mess that someone coated it with and its coming apart.

If you have one that is usable and I can clean up, please let me know.

I have two friends going to Chickasha that would be able to transport to me in Fallbrook, CA.

Thanks, Les (760) 803-7393

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 06:48 am:

I have a tank hanging in the garage. I will have to check the condition but it was holding gas a few years ago as a test stand tank. Not sure if I can get it too anyone here in Indiana going to the swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:25 am:

That would be the same style tank that's used in '26/'27 Tourings, Runabouts RPU:s, Coupes and Tudors. Not reproduced, but not rare, so there should be some in Chickasha? Hard to tell how much repair an unknown tank may need, though.

hhh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Be careful, the gas tanks in the Tudor and Touring are not the same. I just cleaned out and sealed a Tudor gas tank for installation in my Touring (both '26 vehicles). It won't fit and it slightly larger with greater capacity than the Touring tank. I don't know if the Coupe and Runabout tanks are identical to either/or the Touring or Tudor tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Kevin, that's odd? In the Ford Parts lists 1926-28 the same '26/'27 tank with part # 2900D is listed to fit all open and closed cars except Fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:03 am:

If you're a stickler for correctness, be aware that the 2900-D tank underwent at least one change in appearance. The first ones in 1926 cars lack the X reinforcement that you see in the picture Roger posted. A tank for your 1927 would have the X in the ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:47 am:

The one i have is from a 26 coupe that was turned into a hotrod, not by me! I have not looked at it recently, and have no idea about X reinforcements! We turned the chassis into a depot hack with the tank under the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Just checked my late 1926 roadster and it has the X reinforcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

There was also additional beading added to the tanks by the straps on later tanks, and the X was added on one side first, then both.

I don't know the dates of the changes, but I have 3 different versions of 26-27 tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my request for help in finding a replacement tank. I got a call last night from a forum member who has a good clean tank and will be bringing it the Bakersfield swap meet for me.
He got it from someone that made a Hot Rod out of a freshly restored 26 T coup. That is sad but at least the tank will be utilized by someone that needs and appreciates it.
I can not say enough good things about our forum/members who are willing do what ever they can to help a fellow T owner that requests help.

Thanks,
Les Von Nordheim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Went out to the garage to closely compare my tanks. The one on the right (and foreground in second pic) is from a '26 Tudor. The other from a '26 Touring. I tried to install the gas tank from the Tudor in the Touring as it was all refurbished and ready to go, but ran out of space getting it fit up correctly. If you look closely, you will see that the touring tank has a faster taper to it on the right side that tucks under the cowl. Took me a while to figure that one out. Now whether that was just a manufacturing abnormality from a vendor or purpose-built, I don't know. Anyways it is refurbished and all ready to go back in now as well, so that should solve the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

That's interesting. Looks like the filler tray position is different as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration