How do I tell if car was painted with enamel or lacquer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I tell if car was painted with enamel or lacquer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

I have to do some spot repairs on the T. The current paint is in good shape, so I don't want to do a complete respray. I just need to know if I have enamel or lacquer on it. Is there a simple test one can make?
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

David, you could try a little lacquer thinner on an inconspicuous spot. It will bubble up enamel.

Or you cold make your repairs using enamel anyway. It will go over lacquer with no problems.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Lacquer will plug up sandpaper fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

I've used lacquer thinner on a rag and rubbed a spot pretty vigorously. Lacquer will dissolve on the rag. Enamels or catalyzed finishes generally wont.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration