Reverse

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Reverse
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

My 24 touring drives good forward it has new bands installed by the po. Reverse however is weak and requires a lot of pressure on the pedal does the band need to be tighter?. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

You may need to adjust clutch for a better neutral. I had to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Most times when the bands are changed, you will need to adjust them a few times until they get seated in. If your reverse pedal does not stop at least 2 inches above the floorboard, it needs to be adjusted. The brake and low should be about 1 1/2 inches above the floor. Or it could be as John says the clutch needs adjustment. When you put the car in neutral with the parking lever about the middle you should be able to crank the engine without the car rolling and if you try to push the car, the engine should not turn.

Another possibility would be the low is too tight and when you try to use reverse, it would be trying to go in low and reverse at the same time. In that case the car would creep forward in neutral.

Another possibility would be the reverse band is partially trying to stop either the low or the brake drum. That would happen if the bands are out of alignment with the drums.

Anyway take it back to the pro and get him to fix it. If you drive it that way, there could be danger of doing damage to the transmission drums.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I guess I'm going to have to be the pro this thing came
from an estate auction. I will read up on band and clutch adjustment thanks. Philip

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration