OT: Beveled Glass Source

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Beveled Glass Source
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Trying to restore this really cute 1907 Marine searchlight. Anyone know a source that has or could cut new side lenses? They
measure 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" and are 2.82mm or 0.111 inches thick with the bevel ground almost to a sharp edge.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Seems to me the colored glass is more of a problem than getting it beveled. Almost any full-service glass company can have glass ground and polished to a bevel to your specifications. They charge is by the inch.

I have no idea where you would find colored glass for this project. Good luck !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Find someone in your area that works with stained glass either as a hobby or professionally. They could cut the colored glass for you. You might also search online for stained glass window supplies. Then you can take it to the glass shop to get it beveled or cut and beveled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

i needed some plain green glass for a light project a while back, and its very hard to find it plain, as in no patterns or swirls etc like you find in a stained glass window. i just looked at my stash and it has "spectrum glass.com" on the label. thats not the name of who i bought it from, sorry cant recall that, but they must have made it. its too thin for you, but see what else they got. ask mr google

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

I found this. Not sure about the thickness. Scroll down to Cathederal Glass:

http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/glass/kokomo-glass.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

my brain finally connected, http://www.slumpys.com/ this where i got my green. looking at the site dennis plank posted is a fine example of what most stained glass people offer. lots of fancy stuff, and even the ones that look like a solid color will have a textured surface. like i said, plain is hard to find. i did not spend much time at "anything glass" maybe its there too, good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I searched on Ebad for "smooth red stained glass" and "smooth green stained glass" and was able to find both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

A good stained glass shop can get you the glass AND put the bevel on it. I use a local stained glass shop to cut and bevel new glass for the speedometer lenses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Search ebay for "custom bevels" and you'll find lots of places that can do the beveling. They may or may not be able to get the colored glass in an appropriate thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

The bevel costs about a dollar an inch around here at the art glass places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Luckily after checking a local glass shop I was able to get a replacement made. Looks great!

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration