OT lower cost shipping options for parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT lower cost shipping options for parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

I have some v8 60 parts, heads and an intake manifold I am donating to someone for a project. My inquiries on the cost to ship are surprising to say the least. I seem to recall some purveyor of industrial material will also ship heavy stuff for a reasonable cost. Do any of you know which company that might have been? Seems like it was a supplier of hardware of some kind. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Your local Fastenal store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, March 13, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

If fastenAL will not do it, then FedEx is the cheapest I have found. I've shipped heads and wheels, plus rear axle halves. For instance it costs about 45 or so from the Cincinnati Ohio area to cali for one rear axle half. Or about 35 to ship a head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Will Fed Ex ship to Australia? I think UPS will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:49 am:

For parts shipping in the lower 48 states - go Fastenal if the Buyer & Seller are willing to drive to a location near them and if the Seller is willing to crate according to commercial drop shipping requirements so the shipment can be insured.

Insure at 200% replacement value.

I have recommended Fastenal for years.

If one location won't ship or receive - find someone who has a Fastenal account to " pull some strings "

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Also if shipping through Fastenal remember you are shipping through their third party logistics program it is less expensive than other carriers but be prepared to wait longer and Track3pl@fastenal.com is slow to respond the phone number for the tracking service is much better. Just got a motor (T) shipped by them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Once burned is enough!! FEDEX was contacted by an individual to ship about 500 lbs of parts to me. There was an agreement between the shipper and FEDEX as to the cost witch included the shipper to package the parts, FEDEX would pick them up at the shippers location and deliver the packages/crates to me for a fee of about $500.00. I received a call from FEDEX that the truck would arrive at 2PM. It didn't make it. I then received a call that it would arrive at 3PM the next day. It didn't. I called and asked if I could pick them up. Sure they said and I agreed to be there in an hour. Arrived at the distribution location and was told that they could not find the parts and suspected they were put on the truck. This was verified by the driver and I was told he would be at my house in about and hour. I hurried back and sure enough the truck arrived. I got my tractor which has a loader on it and we pushed the crate and packages onto the loader. I offered to pay the driver because I was told it would be COD. He said a bill would arrive in the mail. It did. It was for $1800.00. I about burst a bubble and called the FEDEX number given to me. The person on the line assured me the bill was correct and because I signed for it I had agreed to it. It turns out that they charged extra for pickup at the shippers location (shipper was told that there was no charge) and because the destination was not a dock they charged for unloading. Tell me the difference between a fork lift unloading and my front end loader!!!!!!!!!!!!! They also claimed an extra 180 lbs after the shipment was weighed at the shippers location. I argued the case and asked if the foot prints on the crate equaled the weight of the dispatcher. The net was it took about a month of calling and arguing to get the bill down to $700.00. I gave up!!!!! Never again to use FEDEX. I think I would drive to the west coast and pick up the parts before I used FEDEX. A good friend of mine who has a distribution warehouse on the East and West coast estimated the cost that they would pay for this shipment and it was just over $400.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:42 am:

R.S. thats funny. Well not really. Estimated cost to ship 4 mounted tires on wood spoke wheels from Nevada to Indiana was $1800. Yup, FEDEX. I found a much cheaper option through the forum. Someone going to Hershey met me with my wheels.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Amtrak is another option. But you have to ship to manned stations. I have shipped 5 wire wheels from Seattle to Toledo. Cheapest option available and I had to claim them at the station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Greyhound (the bus guys) will ship heavy/bulky items for a very reasonable
cost between points on their system. YOU have to drop them off at a bus
station and have the receiver pick them up as a bus station on the other end,
but the price is right if you can make those two things work.

Items cannot be so heavy that they cannot be moved about by a human,
and not so large that they will not fit in the luggage compartments of the bus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:21 am:

I've also shipped bulky objects through Greyhound for cheap.

It's "space-available" so you may have to wait a bit for room under one of their buses to open up, but I've had success with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Split it up into multiple packages and ship via USPS ground or priority mail.

I would think that one Ford V8 head would fit in a large USPS flat rate box.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration