Steering Wheel Paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering Wheel Paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:54 am:

I need to re-paint my 1914 steering wheel and was wondering if there is a "correct" type of paint to use. I know Ford painted them black off the assembly line, but is there a paint that works best?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:24 am:

I'm sure the year provides the answer, but I am a newbie to the hobby. Is the wheel wood or the hard rubber type wheel?

I painted my hard rubber wheel a spray enamel dark brown to match some floorboard mat and it has been holding up and looks like wood from 10ft away.
But I have been spraying some matte black undercoating paint on some sheet metal to replicate a vintage car battery and the flex and softness of it had me wondering if this would make a good paint for a steering wheel.

I presume adhesion to the surface is the key so that it does not wear off in certain areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

It's a wooden wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

We did ours with black enamel and after 50 years I repainted it with black enamel Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Colin,

Might you be able to share a photo?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:12 am:

I'd stain it and clear coat it and forget painting it black...too many things on T's that are black already...but then that's just me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I differ on the above post. I primed mine, and painted it with 99A Centari. Looks like a brand new wheel. BTW, I didn't fill the joint either, and you can't tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 11:44 am:

When restoring wheel rims I us clear UV resign
But it was done over wood natural but thino you can apply overy paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Here you go Tom the first is about 1965 the second was 2012 the wedding ring knots the hell out of it. I gave it a light sand and 3 coats of a spray bomb I have not got a current one Cheers Colin

image/bmp
84.bmp (162.1 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

The pictures are reversed Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Thanks Colin! I assume yours is gloss enamel?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

I used whatever black non gloss paint I had in the garage when I painted my new wheel for my 16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

The reason I am looking for photos is to see the difference with satin, semi-gloss, and gloss painted steering wheel rims.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Yes ours is gloss, it's the same paint used on the fenders. the car was painted in 1961. I wonder if when it gets a new paint job ,that paint will last 55 years most shops say no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:47 am:

I'll vote with Martin Vowell. I did mine with Minwax spar urethane clear. I love the way it looks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration