Battery location ideas for early car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Battery location ideas for early car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I am considering adding a starter to my '11 touring and won't drill holes in the frame to add a holder, so I'm looking for ideas on where other people have located their battery, solenoid and starter button. I know I can figure out a way to make it work, but I'm sure some of you have come up with some really creative ideas and I'd like to see them. I've built up a spare 'early' (but later than '11) engine with a ring gear flywheel that I'll run this with... I guess I'm a bit paranoid about breaking a crank or tossing a rod in an original '11 engine so I figure if I'm going to install that engine that is the time to make the switch. I'll still crank the car much of the time, so I'll need to manually charge the battery, this is more for a 'I killed it in an intersection and need to start it fast' scenario since I live in the city.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/251238.html?1323267805

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10664.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/670790.html?1472334975

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Most of the responses in the links are for placing a small battery to use when crank starting and for brake lights. I have that now... I'm looking for ideas on placing a battery capable of turning a starter. I'm inclined to use 6 volts but I don't know how well that will hold up when turning a starter and having to manually charge it. I know a 12 volt will last a number of days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

In our 14 Touring I bought a 6 volt Optima. They are very expensive but they are a dry cell so you can lay them on it's side. I put it under the back seat but I had to drill two holes under the seat for the cables to go thru. I drilled another hole up front for the starter switch. In the early T's with the wood firewall there is really no way to hide much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

Come on Gary, you are younger than me! I still crank my T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Hopefully the $4K I'm gonna end up paying for extensive shoulder PT will guarantee I can continue to crank mine for at least a few more years! Go from "ouch" in the shoulder, to "ouch" in the wallet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

I don't have an elect start but do have a bat under the car clamped to the side of the frame near the back. One really great idea from, RIP, RDR is to install a cig lighter receptacle back by the license plate or in front so you can simply plug in your charger to it. Ralph's was positioned so when he backed out it would automatically unplug if he forgot it. Was a great idea.

I'm scared to offer about my experience driving since installing an after market timer that I have Never killed the engine. I found it remarkable how much difference it made taking off from a dead stop among other times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Wherever you decide to put the battery, you can make a charger to run off the magneto, ala John Regan. Here's mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

I'm thinking the Optima is the way to go since it can sit sideways.

I do have a small sealed battery now and have used the charger with the light bulb, Since this is for a starter, not just lights, I don't think it's enough of a charger for a full size battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I don't know about that. How much of a charge is used up when you start the car? If the starter runs for twenty seconds, which is much more than you need to start a T, how long will the car need to run for the mag to recharge the battery? Maybe John Regan or some other electrical expert can enlighten us on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

I installed a 12 volt wet cell battery in my 1912 in 2015. I did have to charge it in 2016.
I do not have a generator on the car. Beside the starter the battery supplies power to a brake light. A once a year charge in the shop has been sufficient to run the starter. I have not hand cranked since installing the battery. FWIW your mileage may vary.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration