Can you identify and/or date these cars?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can you identify and/or date these cars?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Working on a local history project and sure would appreciate dates and makes of these cars if possible. This school building is now a Jr. High School but earlier was the main high school in Conroe, Texas Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

John,

If you have access to the original and if it is an actual photo and not printed in a book etc. there is a good chance you can scan it and read or identify some of the cars from the logo on the hub caps. Additionally the license plate may give you the year the photo was taken.

And if you have access to the original - you can scan it at a high resolution, crop the photos and post much larger and higher resolution pictures of each individual car.

Based on the cars having headlamps that were "not" hidden in the front fenders, I would guess the cars are around 1934-35ish. The car at the end of the street reminds me of the late 20's early 30s' Model A Fords. But there is not enough detail combined with I am not that familiar with the early 1930's cars.

I'm sure some of the folks will recognize some of them. If my Dad were still living, he would probably know one or more of them. He used to share how the new cars were something he and several of his friends used to look at each year. (That was before advertisements on TV -- ok before TV. So looking at the new cars was entertainment.)

For an illustration of how much more you can see from an actual photo that is scanned at high resolution, please see the entry "By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 10:17 pm:" at the posting located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/454469.html?1403682164 If things are hidden in the shadows the higher resolution scan probably will not help as much. But sometimes it will allow you to accurately read the date on the license tag or Ford on the radiator shell etc.

Good luck with search.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I agree with Hap. The general shape of the cars says mid-thirties, but the image is too small to show the details. If you can scan a JPEG larger than this little 428 225 PNG, up to 250 KB, it would be easier to figure out what we're seeing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

This is a little larger, does that help?
I think this is 233 KB. Thanks for the comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

The nearest car appears to have headlights mounted on the sides of the hood. That means General Motors, but I don't know the make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

I believe Steve is right about GM. And if the lights appear to be mounted to the hood (they're not really) Then that would be 1936 if I am not mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Looks like a '34 to me, and a '35 Ford ahead of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:10 am:

The 2nd car appears to be a 1935 Ford Touring Sedan. The car has the dipped bumper, wire wheels, "bump" of the trunk, running boards and painted headlights. Most of these are rather hard to see but since I have a '35 Ford Cabriolet, that is my shot at it.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Thanks for all the comments. Our daughter is working on a history research project to complete her PHD studies at Texas A & M and this will be part of her thesis. Did you ever think your comments would be part of a thesis? Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Most of my comments are part of someone's thesis but they are usually writing for the field of psychiatry! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration