Rajo Head, Stock Crank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rajo Head, Stock Crank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Looking at a car that owner just rebuilt the engine with a rajo head. Issue is that he has a stock T crank in it still. Is this a time bomb, or a non issue? If i was doing it I would have put a scat in it and called it a day... but he swears the stock T crank is just fine.

Opinions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Rajo Head and a stock crank on this speedster, before the Rajo there was a roof that was a bit too hot. Years ago there was a T crank that had been welded (counterweights) and drilled. When it broke it was replaced with the stock T crank that's in it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

That is a slick car you got there! like the look of it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

more than likely over half of overhead valve heads made for model T's spent most if not all of there time on stock bottom ends the reason being there is not a compression difference on the majority of ROOF, RAJO, FRONTENAC etc with stock type pistons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 12:14 am:

It's all in the use of the new power..
If using it without spending much time in the high rpm register above 2000 - and if you avoid the rpm bands where the internal twisting tends to get multiplied by resonance (the worst is at about 1350 rpm in my 1926 crank) then your std crank should last much like in a std car, but it's always impossible to say how much fatigue life a used crank has left in it, as long as there isn't any cracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 12:44 am:

I meant no comp. difference between stock model T and low comp. (most sold) overheads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:57 am:

My 1919 speedster has a Rajo Model 30 head (8 valve) that has been on it since 1927. Block, crank, cam are all original, with aluminum pistons (0.040" oversized). Cam and crank were re-ground in 1980, and the engine has a few thousand miles since (sat for 33 years after the rebuild before being installed in the car). No problems with it since 1927. Just my experience, YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Just depends how hard you beat on it. You can break any crank if you really try, no matter what head you're using.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Most importantly, you can over rev. No problem. Don't lug it down.

Ed aka #4

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration